2000 Honda Civic SI B16A Head & B18C1 LS GS-R Block.. Questions!

Mondega

5+ Year Member
I recently bought a 2000 Honda Civic SI Vtec expecting it to be stock... but what i just notice is that, the block is not a regular B16, but a B18C1... which is the same as the Integra GSR.. I also noticed that the Vtec controller is missing, so the Vtec is not operational... i need some guide on finding the right vtec controller for this special engine and more guides on what i can do to get max performance out of it....

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its not tha same as it is lol

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn lucky you!!!! search for turbo setups. your motor loves boosting.

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if its not what you were told it was and you dont want it you can take legal action... thats what I did.

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why would he do that? he got something BETTER than he thought. maybe he is the third or fourth owner and the 2nd or third owner didn't know and sold it to him.

anyway, i think its a good thing that feel into his hands.

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sorry, i didn't know you needed a vtec controller for your motor. i dont think you do tho if everything is running normal. are you new to hondas? why not try driving and trying to hit vtec (past 5200 rpm). youll hear the vtec when it kicks in, you can't really miss it.

Mondega

5+ Year Member
ok, thanks... but here's my situation... my mechanic told me it needed a vtec solenoid and ECU in order for the vtec to operate. This 2000 Civic SI is a B-Series LS/VTEC swap and on 1st gear, the car JUMPS! even with a non working solenoid at 1k rpm... so i'm thinking i need an ECU to reprogram it... but thanks ya'll, i will be getting the Solenoid replace before buying an ECU, but we'll see how it goes... i will post updates on this.. thanks, i'm out.

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it's a gsr block, it's not an LS/VTEC swap. An LS/VTEC swap would be a b16/b18c VTEC head with an Integra LS block. The block is then a b18b.

If it is a gsr block, there are a lot of names for it, poor mans type r being one, but I just called it a gsr block and b16 head...

I don't know why a gsr/b16 combo wouldn't have a vtec solenoid...an LS/VTEC I can kind of see why, maybe it wasn't finished. Either way...you do need that VTEC solenoid which is behind the distributor. A 2000 civic si is already wired up for vtec and shouldn't need a new ecu...

Mondega

5+ Year Member
My fault about the earlier description... it's not a B18C1 block, i checked again, it's actually a B18B1 block... so IT IS an LS/VTEC ... i already know the 2000 civic si is already vtec wired ECU, but the past owner hacked in the computer wires and it's too short, so i need to get a new ECU or rewiring done... but my question is do i need an extra VTEC controller for the LS/VTEC? if so... what is the best option for it?

oni3

5+ Year Member
You do not need a VTEC controller. You will however need an oil plumb line to operate your VTEC.