2000 HX - Make me faster!

Malfa

5+ Year Member
2k to spend and you dont wanna spend like 1300 for a turbo kit? I.H.E's arent gonna do that much..except make loud noises
yeah i dont want loud noises haha.

I was told it would be a lot more than 1300. So I could get a turbo for 1300 and expect what? 70 hp?

and still expect a safe engine???

Also do you think it would be a good idea to try and find an SI grille from a local junkyard instead of buying a new one?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah i dont want loud noises haha.

I was told it would be a lot more than 1300. So I could get a turbo for 1300 and expect what? 70 hp?

and still expect a safe engine???

Also do you think it would be a good idea to try and find an SI grille from a local junkyard instead of buying a new one?
when i built my turbo kit for my hx motor, it cost about 1300 with tuning so thats why i brought it up with that price

i dyno'd my single at 190 hp at 10 pounds of boost on a td05h turbo..good small turbo for daily driver

kitkit201

5+ Year Member
I'll chime in here. I have an hx as the OP and would not touch any of the performance side of re car. Yeah it's a bit slow but Make up all of that by gettinhids or other things. Why touch 44mpgs?

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
im just saying the way gas prices are nowadays would be smart to keep it. when i still had my y5 it got 50mpg. then my bro blew the engine :( so now i gotta y8 which gets 40. turbo it if anything

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Depends on wat ur willin to spend.... If your budget is low and MUST include a tranny swap, I'd say get intake/headers/exhaust and some Tokico shocks. I'd say do that man cause if ur budget it low now, you definitely wont wanna pay all those gas prices if you put a turbo on it (ur mgp will go wayyyy down). And ur exhaust doesn't have to be loud, some even come with a silencer. Or for around $500 nitrous it, but i wouldn't recommend this cause if not properly installed/tuned, ur gonna blow it, or f**k it up.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea gas mileage will be effected.. went from about 440 a tank to about 380-400

Malfa

5+ Year Member
2k to spend and you dont wanna spend like 1300 for a turbo kit? I.H.E's arent gonna do that much..except make loud noises
Yes, this is what I want to do then. Please give me more information on what type of kit you are talking about..

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How the hell do HX's get such good gas mileage!?!?
Auto and 5sp both get same?

Malfa

5+ Year Member
check out this thread..he's from portland too

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/778300440.html

or

check out this forum and build one yourself( i'd do this one )

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=28135.0
Thanks alot!
So any kit would pretty much work then? I would like to get around 190 like you did!

How the hell do HX's get such good gas mileage!?!?
Auto and 5sp both get same?
Yeah the cvt transmission gets about 38 highway whereas the 5spd would be at like 45

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
let me find the article about it but basically:
pretty much its the way the valves work. creates a mcnasty swirl action to get the fuel n air mixed rediculously good!

http://asia.vtec.net/spfeature/vtecimpl/vtec1.html look at the vtec-e which is the y5
It has to do with the way the cams, valves, egr, o2 sensors and vtec work. The head had 4 valves per cylinder, but only uses two valves until it hits vtec, then all four work. The vtec hits at around 2800 rpms and a y8 vtec hits at 4500. The o2 sensors are pretty advanced and work at running the a\f mixture as lean as possible for economy, thats why the primary is a 500 dollar part from honda. If you turbo the hx, I think you would best be served by getting a complete y8 head.

There is a guy called Benze, Bense or something like that that has done some work an getting some hp out of an hx. Do a search on him, he has a website or blog about what he was doing to it. Check H-T, he posts on there also.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It has to do with the way the cams, valves, egr, o2 sensors and vtec work. The head had 4 valves per cylinder, but only uses two valves until it hits vtec, then all four work. The vtec hits at around 2800 rpms and a y8 vtec hits at 4500. The o2 sensors are pretty advanced and work at running the a\f mixture as lean as possible for economy, thats why the primary is a 500 dollar part from honda. If you turbo the hx, I think you would best be served by getting a complete y8 head.

There is a guy called Benze, Bense or something like that that has done some work an getting some hp out of an hx. Do a search on him, he has a website or blog about what he was doing to it. Check H-T, he posts on there also.
You got it backwards. If the VTEC hit at 2800, it would pretty much hit as soon as you step on the gas. My friend had an HX, VTEC his at 4500.

But thanks for the info though. Why cant other companies make non-hybrid cars get this good gas mileage?! And why did Honda discontinue it?! Too expensive?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks alot!
So any kit would pretty much work then? I would like to get around 190 like you did!

yeap just make sure you buy the right parts and dont cheap out..and the hp will come with the correct tuning

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You got it backwards. If the VTEC hit at 2800, it would pretty much hit as soon as you step on the gas. My friend had an HX, VTEC his at 4500.

But thanks for the info though. Why cant other companies make non-hybrid cars get this good gas mileage?! And why did Honda discontinue it?! Too expensive?

No, you're wrong. Do a little research and you'll find that VTEC-E has an engagement anywhere from 2700 to 3000 RPM's.IWhat makes you think you're right, your buddy telling you what he thinks he knows?

I have a d16y5 head in my car right now. When I originally bought it, I was told that it had a d16y8 motor in it. It has a y8 block and transmission (ex) with a y5 head (hx) and was running a p2p ecu (ex) with it. When I would be cruising along arond 3000 rpm's, it seemed to have a tough time at accelerating even a little bit with out having to mash the accelerator to the floor. I did some investigating and realized that the car had the wrong ecu in it. I bought a p2n (hx) ecu and hooked it up and wow what a difference. Any hesitation it had was gone.

The primary reason for the hesitation with the p2p (ex) ecu was that the y5 head was still working on one intake valve at 2800 rpm's and wanted to have vtec engage to run both intake valves, while the p2p ecu wasn't even close to engaging vtec yet. Vtec doesn't hit hard in a y5, so if your basing the 4500 rpm therory from your buddies car on feeling or hearing it, its in your head.

Do a little research before you start spouting off and posting what you think is gospel. Go on H-T and search for d16y5 and you'll become enlightened.