2001 Lx with a D17a engine..

JLB1615

5+ Year Member
Ok so I have looked around and asked so many people but I still am a little shakey on this so I am asking you all. I have the D17a engine with a few bolt ons but someone told me that my engine was a POS and I was a little let down because i thought i had a decent car.. Well the thing is I want my car to hit harder than it does and I have talked to people telling me that all i would have to do is boost with a turbo or something like that which I would do but I want to know what kind of HP or torque I would be getting out of my car. But some other people told me to do a k20 swap but I have heard that since the K20 is a newer engine there aren't too many parts floating around for the engine and if you try to boost it doesn't boost well. So someone told me to just get a b16 or b18 and boost that and if i did a top in on it and some other stuff I could have a beast of an engine and another person told me to get the older civic engine(d16) engine.

What I really want to know is how can I get my car to be a little speed demon and I don't think I want to k20 swap my car so don't tell me that. I also have an auto trany would it be better to have a manual?

I'm just a little confused by it all.

clean02

5+ Year Member
Ok so I have looked around and asked so many people but I still am a little shakey on this so I am asking you all. I have the D17a engine with a few bolt ons but someone told me that my engine was a POS and I was a little let down because i thought i had a decent car.. Well the thing is I want my car to hit harder than it does and I have talked to people telling me that all i would have to do is boost with a turbo or something like that which I would do but I want to know what kind of HP or torque I would be getting out of my car. But some other people told me to do a k20 swap but I have heard that since the K20 is a newer engine there aren't too many parts floating around for the engine and if you try to boost it doesn't boost well. So someone told me to just get a b16 or b18 and boost that and if i did a top in on it and some other stuff I could have a beast of an engine and another person told me to get the older civic engine(d16) engine.

What I really want to know is how can I get my car to be a little speed demon and I don't think I want to k20 swap my car so don't tell me that. I also have an auto trany would it be better to have a manual?

I'm just a little confused by it all.
turbo on a d17 is pretty much the only thing you can do to get power. the b16 or b18 will require lots of modification and will be a waste of money. do a k20 and turbo if you have to money. there are lots of parts for the k20 so someone mislead you there. as for the trasmission, the auto does not seem to hold up well so you might want to swap that for a manual.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah i think the most hp you can get from the auto tranny is around 175 boosted

JLB1615

5+ Year Member
Alright so what you are saying is that i could have more power with my auto tranny but if i just wanted to keep my engine now the smart thing would be to do a 5 speed conversion. Does anyone have any idea on how much i could get a tranny for with everything I would need and to get it put in? And if I could get a list of what all i would need.. Thank yall so much for your help!

Liquidice944

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok ok hold up. " You thought you had a decent car" Civics are great cars especially em2's. Its an economy car though man. With the money you can make it anything you want. Before my Z i had a 01 lx auto just like you. The thing is if your gonna put this 5k+ thousand into it, your going to be spending way more then the value of the car. Dont get me wrong built is way cooler then bought, but make sure thats what you want. Also i thought a boosted auto puts 175 and manual puts 200. So if its your daily driver the hp sacrifice may be worth it. But if you want a manual and something with power, your going to be remodeling the whole car.

JLB1615

5+ Year Member
I know i have a nice car i love the car or i wouldnt have it. But someone told me my engine was a pos and that nothing would be worth doing to the car so i got a little discouraged but i want to get a manual into it so bad! I will let yall know how everything plays out.