2004 gauge swap in 98 ex.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
So i have been wanting to do this for a while. finding the gauge was easy enough, but i couldn't find the wires that plug in the back. I tried local scrap yards but a 04 is too new i think. So i went to ebay and started chatting with some of the vendors selling used 04 clusters, i asked if i could get the wires that plug in the back and guess what? I found a seller willing to do so!!!!!!

This mod is super easy and requirers very little work. all you have to do is trim your bezel a little bit, and re wire the harness connecting your gauge.

I asked the seller if he would be willing to extend this offer to other members on club civic, I will get a response from him tomorrow. If he agrees, it could make this mod a lot easier. also, the gauge and wires only cost $45 shipped. Heres hoping!!!:D

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This mod is super easy and requirers very little work. all you have to do is trim your bezel a little bit, and re wire the harness connecting your gauge.
That's pretty much what you'd have to do to any cluster that wasn't meant to be in there.

leothelion

Registered VIP
which ebay seller? i'm interested in doing the switch in my 97.......
no longer available unfortunately. i don't think he had many clusters available, everyone else was about $30 more expensive.

anyways, here are the results. a 2001 will fit into a 6th gen, a 2004 will fit into a 2001. so i just used a diy to swap a 2001 into a 6th gen after reading that all the wires on 2001 and 2004 are the same. this worked pretty well, there were only a few that were not correct but it was not a big deal. just used a tester and worked out what wire was what.

now for the pics and vid!!!!

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

so glad i found someone to include the harness. this would have been impossible without it.

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18

the way i have it now works ok. but i was noticing when i was driving around that it is slightly off kilter. for now i will leave it but i will deffinaly go back and figure out a more solid way of securing it.

Shot at 2011-08-18

Shot at 2011-08-18
oh wiring and shrink tube:

Shot at 2011-08-18
looks good from the outside

Shot at 2011-08-18
looks amazing on the inside:

Shot at 2011-08-18

radracer

5+ Year Member
did u get the odometer set to your original miles ??? is the speedo accurate ??

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd rather just throw in a plug n play 1st gen Crv cluster, I like the looks of it better.

Good job on the write-up for ppl that want to do this.

leothelion

Registered VIP
speedo works and is accurate. you cannot reset the mileage, you have to go to the DMV and get a mileage adjustment form. it basically says what the old mileage was and what the new gauge mileage was.

quietfly

so how would this work with a manual car? i want to swap out my dx cluster because it has no Tach, and is pretty dim...

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
speedo works and is accurate. you cannot reset the mileage, you have to go to the DMV and get a mileage adjustment form. it basically says what the old mileage was and what the new gauge mileage was.
you can get those at the dealership as well.

leothelion

Registered VIP
so how would this work with a manual car? i want to swap out my dx cluster because it has no Tach, and is pretty dim...
WAAAAYYY EASY!!!! a manual car has about half the wiring that autos have. you get better results with a manual imo. I'm actually debating on getting a manual cluster because I'm having trouble getting the shift indicator lights to work on the gauge.

you can get those at the dealership as well.
really? neat didn't know.

also. i finished up with the modifications. working on the diy.

kid2006

what if you don't and u just sell the car as is lol