2nd gear popping out.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I recently purchased a 1996 Honda Civic EX for 2000, and I'm now having an issue with 2nd gear popping out. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it does not. It seems to be more of a sure thing when I shift down to second. Like if I slow down to make a turn and then select second gear to accelerate. It has done it twice in a straight line now. Hoping I didn't get f**ked in this deal. I sold my del sol for 2500 and picked this up for 2000, so I have some extra cash to put into it thankfully. It's not a consistent problem and seems to do it when it wants to. Clutch reservoir is full, buddy of mine said that maybe it needs to be bled. I don't know, let me know what you think.

Frustrated.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Found this online as a response to a similar problem.

"Bottom countershaft bearing walked out of the case. You need to split the case, tap the bearing back down and stake it there with a center punch. You might want to replace the input shaft bearing and seal while you're in there."

Sound about right?

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJ

Banned
Generally, this is caused by a worn second gear synchro. You can either tear down the transmission and rebuild it or start shopping for a replacement.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Generally, this is caused by a worn second gear synchro. You can either tear down the transmission and rebuild it or start shopping for a replacement.
Thanks man. I'll more than likely get a replacement. s**t happens right? :P

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I'm just wondering, is there a possibility that it's the transmission mount? First gear kind of pops back and forth (the actual shifter) when I press in the clutch to shift to second. I can post a video in a second.

RonJ

Banned
So I'm just wondering, is there a possibility that it's the transmission mount? First gear kind of pops back and forth (the actual shifter) when I press in the clutch to shift to second. I can post a video in a second.
If the engine is moving all over the place, then fix the mount problem and go from there. Check all mounts, especially the rear mount.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the engine is moving all over the place, then fix the mount problem and go from there. Check all mounts, especially the rear mount.
will do. What should I check for? And how? Wiggle it?

This is what it does (cell phone video, It's more noticeable in person)

edit: click the pic, it's a link to a video.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, I'll have to try and take a better video. Try and look at it RIGHT when I press in the clutch. It just pops forward and back. It's more noticeable in person.

AsianCivicRider

Yeah, I'll have to try and take a better video. Try and look at it RIGHT when I press in the clutch. It just pops forward and back. It's more noticeable in person.
Yes my civic's shifter used to move back and forth under acceleration/deceleration and it was because I had weak ass motor mounts. You could actually see the engine moving back and forth when I revved it at idle. I bought some aftermarket motor mounts (both the sides and the rear), installed them and no more engine movement after that.

You could go the cheaper route and buy engine mount inserts, they are just as effective.

Upgrading the mounts also made it easier to shift between gears. It used to grind going into 2nd gear but its stopped after the new mounts. There is more vibration in the cabin but it doesnt bother me at all.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I forgot to mention that it only pops out when I release the clutch. When I can get it to stay in gear I can accelerate/decelerate as fast or slow as I please. The more I research the less it sounds like a synchro. Just trying to eliminate all other possibilities before I decide to rebuild.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just randoms quotes all over the internet discussing the symptoms of a bad gear synchro.

"Sychros, when going bad, will not allow the trans to be shifted
easily either when running it hard or normal." - I have no problem shifting.

some places say the MOST common thing associated with a bad synchro is grinding. I have absolutely NO grinding.

I also have a fair amount of play in my shifter when I let out or press in the clutch. It bounces back and forth one quick time within the gear. Same strange movement in second when it doesn't pop out. However, third, fourth, and fifth don't do this.

A close friend of mine seems to think it's the shifter bushings, (not so sure), but I'm leaning more towards the mounts.

Assuming that I do have the bounce I described in my video, what would this make you suspect?

Not doubting your judgement one bit, I would just rather spend the 30 odd dollars on shifter bushings just to be on the safe side before rebuilding the tranny.

RonJ

Banned
Do more searching. Popping out of gear and/or difficulty getting into gear are common symptoms of bad synchro gears.

But if the engine has a lot of movement fix the mount problem first, though I doubt that's the problem.

I don't see how shifter bushings would be the cause.