300-350HP engine

kyral

5+ Year Member
this question is for informative purposes atm
but what i want to know is if have a power goal of about 300HP what would be the
A: cheapest motor to build up
B: Most reliable motor to build up
C: Overall best motor to build up
(only honda motors)

thanks

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Fast, cheap, and reliable. You can only have two.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
True words.
300 hp? Well all motor SOHC motors are out of the question. You could hit it with a turbo ls/vtec set up. Or a turbo gsr. but all motor would be something like a J swap.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this question is for informative purposes atm
but what i want to know is if have a power goal of about 300HP what would be the
A: cheapest motor to build up
B: Most reliable motor to build up
C: Overall best motor to build up
(only honda motors)

thanks
What engine do you have? and they're all reliable engines and they're all good motors, so you just have to do the research and decide for yourself what you would want. Everybody will tell you different, cause everybody has their own opinion so you just gotta form your own opinions.

Haha exactly

kyral

5+ Year Member
True words.
300 hp? Well all motor SOHC motors are out of the question. You could hit it with a turbo ls/vtec set up. Or a turbo gsr. but all motor would be something like a J swap.
Oh my bad i forgot to point out that it would be a turbo 4 cylinder honda motor of some sort
as cool as j swaps are that dont really interest me

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:smackself

Seriously. There are so many options and different set ups out there. Look at build threads on HT and NWP4LIFE and just see what you like. Look on youtube for videos of built cars. Look at dynographs. Talk to people. That's really the way you're going to learn, and it broadens your horizons on different motor building/set-ups and what they're capable of.

Seriously hunny, just research.

Edit: I will say, all motor is going to cost more and be harder to achieve 300hp. However I find it more respectable. My buddy has a fully built B20V that's pushing 258hp and it was a LOT of work.

Turbo would definitely be more cost effective. But make sure to build the internals to handle the boost and get it tuned correctly.

It's all about what you're trying to accomplish.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OP said cheap-est, with that being said, a boosted built d series would be the one. Reliability is equal with any setup because out comes down to the build and tune itself. The horsepower goal is the same amongst the motors so the base for the platform won't matter. D series is cheapest to build do to it being damn near half the motor, less parts to buy = lead money

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
Crash just to ask a question, why is it that you find all motor more respectable? I personally think that a fully built turbo is more expensive. Just wanna pick your brain not start any beef

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Crash just to ask a question, why is it that you find all motor more respectable? I personally think that a fully built turbo is more expensive. Just wanna pick your brain not start any beef
I didn't think you were bud. I don't know, maybe "respectable" was poor word choice. I just think it requires more to make an all motor 300 hp than a boosted motor 300 hp. It takes more money, more parts, and more tactfulness of choosing parts that work well together. Just from listening to my friends who have built boosted cars and all motor setups the work is different. I'm not saying at all that boosted motors aren't respectable. They very much are. I'm actually looking into turboing my GSR when I'm done with it (later later on). I'm saying all motor requires more to achieve a high power goal versus a turbo. If my logic makes sense? :what:

kyral

5+ Year Member
OP said cheap-est, with that being said, a boosted built d series would be the one. Reliability is equal with any setup because out comes down to the build and tune itself. The horsepower goal is the same amongst the motors so the base for the platform won't matter. D series is cheapest to build do to it being damn near half the motor, less parts to buy = lead money
actually the D series is why i started this whole thread
But i was afraid it might not be as reliable as a B

How about the D series DOHC
are those as cost effective as SOHC d series
if no are they worth building then?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
actually the D series is why i started this whole thread
But i was afraid it might not be as reliable as a B

How about the D series DOHC
are those as cost effective as SOHC d series
if no are they worth building then?
There's a reason why you never hear of D series DOHC being built. Olldddd motors.

And who's telling you a D is not as reliable as a B? They are both extremely reliable motors.

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
I hear you crash a 250+ allmotor b20v is a very respectable car, my point is fully built turbo is just if not more difficult to do, but yea slapping a snail to get hp isn't as respectable and a built one

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hear you crash a 250+ allmotor b20v is a very respectable car, my point is fully built turbo is just if not more difficult to do, but yea slapping a snail to get hp isn't as respectable and a built one
And it's soooo much fun to drive... :twisted:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The dohc d series are old like crash said and parts for the motor are harder to come by. Custom fabrication will come into play which will drive up the price.

Ninja edit =)

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Awesome... Proof reading> me. I just text and post lol

I think d series and single cam comes to mind every damn time lol

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:shock: lock the thread lol.

rayaccord101

Registered VIP
i would work with the d series u have now assuming u have a D series and just build it up and turbo. You can deff reach 300HP in a SOHC dont know what that guy was thinking when he said their out of the question when you see them everywhere. D series are starting to make a come back in my opinion so i would stay with the D series. Just my 2 cents