300-350HP engine

kyral

5+ Year Member
i would work with the d series u have now assuming u have a D series and just build it up and turbo. You can deff reach 300HP in a SOHC dont know what that guy was thinking when he said their out of the question when you see them everywhere. D series are starting to make a come back in my opinion so i would stay with the D series. Just my 2 cents
he said all motor d series were out of the question for a 300+ hp build

whats going to have mor torque at 300hp a b series or a d series?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
personally if i was looking to hit 300+ i would not stay with a D. Sure you can build it to 300 but you won't have nearly the amount of torque that you can achieve from a B, wether you go boost or N/A. if you want that 300hp motor to move you want to get those torque numbers up as well.
for example, my cousin and I we both have the same hatch. I have a stock B20 and LS trans, and he has a B16 and Si trans, and I can pull on him. The B16 probably has about 10 more hp then the B20 but the B20 has about 10 more lb-ft than the B16. Torque is what counts in the end...

No replacement for Displacement!

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The B16 probably has about 10 more hp then the B20 but the B20 has about 10 more lb-ft than the B16. Torque is what counts in the end...

Why stop there then? H22.

if you're going to build it up reliability shouldn;t be a problem.

as far as cost goes it really depends what you decide to spend your money on. spending a little extra during the build will save you more down the road.

there is no "best" motor.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why stop there then? H22.

if you're going to build it up reliability shouldn;t be a problem.

as far as cost goes it really depends what you decide to spend your money on. spending a little extra during the build will save you more down the road.

there is no "best" motor.
my mistake i forgot about H! brane fartz

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
personally if i was looking to hit 300+ i would not stay with a D. Sure you can build it to 300 but you won't have nearly the amount of torque that you can achieve from a B, wether you go boost or N/A. if you want that 300hp motor to move you want to get those torque numbers up as well.
for example, my cousin and I we both have the same hatch. I have a stock B20 and LS trans, and he has a B16 and Si trans, and I can pull on him. The B16 probably has about 10 more hp then the B20 but the B20 has about 10 more lb-ft than the B16. Torque is what counts in the end...

This!

I would say for you a boosted B20/built B20V if you're looking for torque, and they're not super expensive to build. Even consider an LSV. You can pick up blocks for these for relatively cheap and they're going to produce a good amount of torque. But a B20V is going to give you the most. Just make sure to do your research and see what internal parts work well. And if you're going to do high compression make sure to sleeve it. Those B20 sleeves are notoriously thin and they're not built to handle the high compresseion.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All this talk about the amount of torque you can achieve but nobody considers that you don't need much torque in a Honda to run fast quarter mile times (or have a quick car in general). 12 and 11 second k series cars sit around 180-200 tq. In a boosted application you'll be sitting higher than that after reaching the 300whp mark so who cares about more torque than you can make use of?

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP

is this from a dig or a roll?

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All this talk about the amount of torque you can achieve but nobody considers that you don't need much torque in a Honda to run fast quarter mile times (or have a quick car in general). 12 and 11 second k series cars sit around 180-200 tq. In a boosted application you'll be sitting higher than that after reaching the 300whp mark so who cares about more torque than you can make use of?
He was asking about an affordable swap ;)

My only thing with H series (I know I forgot about it too :oops:) is that parts are a little harder to find.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
A: cheapest motor to build up
B: Most reliable motor to build up
C: Overall best motor to build up
(only honda motors)

I was going by what he posted...B16 is still a winner with a turbo it dont matter about the torque

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
A: cheapest motor to build up
B: Most reliable motor to build up
C: Overall best motor to build up
(only honda motors)

I was going by what he posted...B16 is still a winner with a turbo it dont matter about the torque
yeah its baller to make 400whp and only 250ft lbs of torque at 8200rpms

The goal of a well built engine is to have a wide usable powerband, thats what wins races and puts down great ETs.

To answer the OPs question like several others already have, any b/d/k/h/j/f/g can be reliable AND fast when built properly. High horsepower N/A builds are not a good idea for daily purposes, because of the aggresive cams and high octane needed to achieve such number as to be considered "fast". I hear the argument that N/A is better because of no boost lag. If you b***h about boost lag you 1-Have not driven a properly built turbo car or 2- Do not know how to drive

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're all wrong.

Given the wording in the OP, the question is what is the cheapest motor to build up. The cost of the actual engine doesn't have to factor in and it doesn't say anything about it having to go in a Civic.

Therefore, I'm going with the J37A4
A: cheapest motor to build up ($0, 305hp bone stock)
B: Most reliable motor to build up (OEM reliability)
C: Overall best motor to build up (okay maybe this one doesn't apply)
(only honda motors)

If you want to argue that it's an Acura motor, not a Honda motor, well then… :wak:

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're all wrong.

Given the wording in the OP, the question is what is the cheapest motor to build up. The cost of the actual engine doesn't have to factor in and it doesn't say anything about it having to go in a Civic.

Therefore, I'm going with the J37A4
A: cheapest motor to build up ($0, 305hp bone stock)
B: Most reliable motor to build up (OEM reliability)
C: Overall best motor to build up (okay maybe this one doesn't apply)
(only honda motors)

If you want to argue that it's an Acura motor, not a Honda motor, well then… :wak:
well if u take it like that then the MF408S would be better.
590hp 383 torques. then your 350 hp would be usable horsepower not a tiny top peak number.

i bet it would fit in a civic