I'll sell you a J35A9 for $5k. Can reach ~300 with bolt-ons... :P

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're all wrong.

Given the wording in the OP, the question is what is the cheapest motor to build up. The cost of the actual engine doesn't have to factor in and it doesn't say anything about it having to go in a Civic.

Therefore, I'm going with the J37A4
A: cheapest motor to build up ($0, 305hp bone stock)
B: Most reliable motor to build up (OEM reliability)
C: Overall best motor to build up (okay maybe this one doesn't apply)
(only honda motors)

If you want to argue that it's an Acura motor, not a Honda motor, well then… :wak:
actually you're wrong. the OP said he wanted to keep it 4 cyl...

Oh my bad i forgot to point out that it would be a turbo 4 cylinder honda motor of some sort
as cool as j swaps are that dont really interest me

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
He was asking about an affordable swap ;)

My only thing with H series (I know I forgot about it too :oops:) is that parts are a little harder to find.
I wasn't suggesting a k swap, it was a reference to the torque needed to be fast. Just because you can make a s**t ton more torque from a bigger motor, doesn't mean that the extra torque will even be useable in most situations. Just like people with massive horsepower numbers that can't get traction until 4th gear, its just pointless

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wasn't suggesting a k swap, it was a reference to the torque needed to be fast. Just because you can make a s*** ton more torque from a bigger motor, doesn't mean that the extra torque will even be useable in most situations. Just like people with massive horsepower numbers that can't get traction until 4th gear, its just pointless
maybe it;s just me but i think high horsepower FWD vehicles are stupid. sure u can drive in a straight line. unless u torque steer into a tree. but asking the front wheels to deliver that much power and steer the car makes it just stupid for good handling.

u definitely are going to have a s***ty handling car if u leave the suspension stock or a setup made for a stock horsepower vehicle. even then you'll probably never be using that peak power since the power band is so peaky.

iunno. fwd is stupid :P i;d rather have awd or rwd high horsepower cars.

i realize there are a few higher horsepower civics that do handle good but they have so much more money in them than just the engine.

kyral

5+ Year Member
yeah its baller to make 400whp and only 250ft lbs of torque at 8200rpms

The goal of a well built engine is to have a wide usable powerband, thats what wins races and puts down great ETs.

To answer the OPs question like several others already have, any b/d/k/h/j/f/g can be reliable AND fast when built properly. High horsepower N/A builds are not a good idea for daily purposes, because of the aggresive cams and high octane needed to achieve such number as to be considered "fast". I hear the argument that N/A is better because of no boost lag. If you b**** about boost lag you 1-Have not driven a properly built turbo car or 2- Do not know how to drive
I thought race cars had very narrow powerbands?

and I agree about putting alot of horsepower into a FWD car id much rather have a high horsepower RWD car
but thats why I set my power goal at 300-350

95eggsr

quad box
I would tell you an ls is your best option
cheap
reliable if done correctly and dont overboost/abuse it ~280whp
its going to haul ass

and if it blows up its only a shitty ls, its a win win

my other suggestions would be a b16/gsr if you want to hit mid to low 300's reliably but the motors obviously cost a little more

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
D series is still cheaper to build and replace and will require the same internal work to reach the proposed power goal.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a D series at 300whp will usually make more torque than a B series at that same horsepower level. I know people are gonna read that and be like WTF

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a D series at 300whp will usually make more torque than a B series at that same horsepower level. I know people are gonna read that and be like WTF
I had thought so but i wasn't sure and didnt feel like searching dyno results to confirm. D's are more dope than people give them credit for. It's the american way, bigger is better :roll: =)

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had thought so but i wasn't sure and didnt feel like searching dyno results to confirm. D's are more dope than people give them credit for. It's the american way, bigger is better :roll: =)
Its because it has a longer stroke. But, there is a point where the D series heads cant flow enough air and a b series will eventually make more power. We know this because we've done it. The most bad ass D series head you can think of only flows about the same as a stock GSR head. :lol:

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
he said he wanted 300-350 hp...

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it would be pointless to buy that turbo for that horsepower level. 5431's will make that power all day and cost like 500 bucks