5th or 6th gen Civic?

ryecrash

5+ Year Member
I'm sure you are all a bit biased towards 6th gen since this is a 6th gen forum, but I figured why not?

My 14 year old son and I plan to rebuild a mid-90's civic coupe for him to drive when he's able to drive. He's not sure which year in the mid-90's he wants so I figured you all could help with any pro's or con's.

Are there any years/ models I should stay away from or go for?

Any other advice you all can give me will be most helpful.

Thanks!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
all 92-95 are pretty much the same as far as i know. 96-98 have slight body differences than 99-00 but they share chassis codes. if you go with a hatch instead of a coupe it will shed a few pounds right off the bat

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm sure you are all a bit biased towards 6th gen since this is a 6th gen forum, but I figured why not?
this is a forum for all gen civics, although this is, the 6g section.

My 14 year old son and I plan to rebuild a mid-90's civic coupe for him to drive when he's able to drive. He's not sure which year in the mid-90's he wants so I figured you all could help with any pro's or con's.

Are there any years/ models I should stay away from or go for?

Any other advice you all can give me will be most helpful.

Thanks!
its all about general reference. all these cars are pretty much the same, only diff is in the years, motor specs, trim levels, etc..

maybe you should pull up pics of different civics in different trims, and ask your son what he likes. that will help us help you on specs, pros, cons, fact, etc.. on the vehicle.

t4r6n

5+ Year Member
92-95 hatchback cx model is significantly lighter. So if you are looking at hp to weight the 5th gen is the better choice. I like the way the 6th gen hatchback look but its about 200lbs heavier.

ThaJokaa

Buildin..???
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe you should pull up pics of different civics in different trims, and ask your son what he likes. that will help us help you on specs, pros, cons, fact, etc.. on the vehicle.
agreed that would be the smart thing to do my parents didnt tell me that i wish my dad did that s**t when i was 14 i would have a bad as car by now but f**k it, i like my 6th Gen jus ask what he likes and then come back update your post then we can help you out

DocShay

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're going for a coupe and not a hatch, I personally like 6th gen - then again I am biased cause I own one.
The body styling IMO looks a tenfold better in 6th gen compared to 5th in coupes...

ThaJokaa

Buildin..???
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you're going for a coupe and not a hatch, I personally like 6th gen - then again I am biased cause I own one.
The body styling IMO looks a tenfold better in 6th gen compared to 5th in coupes...
:word::word::word::word::word::word::word::word:
exactly 6th gen coupes are the s**t

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i too dislike the 5th gen coupe style compared to 6th gen coupe. you cant beat a 5th gen hatchy though, they pwn all

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
6th gen hatch. 5 spd:cool:

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm a 5th gen kinda' guy. :what: They just look better to me.

There's not really any "bad" years. 92-00 are all pretty damn decent cars. D16Y8s have better shift forks in the trannys than D16Z6es do but they also have a higher failure rate on the Input shaft bearing. That's the only really bad thing I can think of, and it's really no worse than any other company's best transmissions.

How stuck are you and your son on the coupe body style?

An EH9 sedan comes with all the equipment that the EJ1 EX coupe does, + all EH9s have 4 wheel disc and ABS, and an EH9 usually costs about the same as a EJ2 DX coupe.

Or just get an EJ1 or EJ8 coupe and buy a wrecked same year model DC2 Integra for a donor car. That should keep you busy for awhile. :lol: :thumbs up

vid_man

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
personally 6th gen. coupe are much better looking but if i was to get a hatch it would def be a 5 gen hatch