6th gen civic tail-light problem/question....

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey guys, my brother-in-law has a 96 dx coupe....woke up this morning and his car wouldnt start....he charged his battery, and everything was fine, but then he noticed later that his brake lights werent shutting off when the car was turned off (thus draining the battery)....

anyone have this happen before? something he should check for?

again, the problem is his brake lights staying on AFTER the car has been turned off...for now, he's just unhooked his battery to keep it from draining, but he obviously DOESNT want to do that every time he gets in/out of his civic....

any help would be appreciated....

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the actual brake light is on like the pedal is being pushed? or is it the normal night time driving taillight?

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ yeah, brake light is on like the pedal is being pushed....he just googled it, and from what he explained to me, people were saying there was something down by the pedal that probbly broke, and he could just super-glue a penny on it (or something like that)

kinda wanted a 2nd opinion before he goes jimmy-rigging his brake pedal :lol:

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would search the problem in that area (the brake pad) because thats wat happened in my other car. it was just a bracket that was loose that held that sensor. it came off. hope it not a big deal.

MidoriVTEC

5+ Year Member
just go to honda and ask for the black rubber stopper on the brake pedal assembly that stops the brake light switch. its like $1.00 or 2.

better than riggin it when its that cheap to replace with oem honda.

its a little hole on the pedal that is filled with a rubber stopper to stop the brake light switch, they rot over time and crumble and fall out. just replace it.

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^ thanks for replies

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just go to honda and ask for the black rubber stopper on the brake pedal assembly that stops the brake light switch. its like $1.00 or 2.

better than riggin it when its that cheap to replace with oem honda.

its a little hole on the pedal that is filled with a rubber stopper to stop the brake light switch, they rot over time and crumble and fall out. just replace it.

^^ representin' chuck town with the 411 on brake-pedal-rubber-switch-stoppers :cool:

niiice

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that was the exact problem....he got down in there, and found little pieces of that rubber stopper down in the carpet....thanks for the help :thumbup: