6th Gen CX wanting to swap

JDMNorth

Work In Progress.
5+ Year Member
Alright I have the stock egnine out of a 1998 hatchback and I'm wanted to swap it for something with a little more power then 106hp and 103lb/ft which many of you could understand, I don't have the money for a b16 or b18 but I was considering the 98 EX engine? or maybe and older SI engine? or something I'm not sure I'm pretty new to engine swaps with hondas but I can do the work I just need to know what engines will fit in my car. I would rather not have to make new mounts and i'd like to use my stock harness and not have to change hubs. let me know thanks!

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
D16y8

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Keep the bottom end, get a y8 head and a z6/y8 tranny.

It's called a mini-me swap. Search on that and you will find out a lot of info about it. Also upgrading to a ex tranny will give you shorter gears = faster acceleration.

JDMNorth

Work In Progress.
5+ Year Member
what are the ball park power gains for that "mini-me" swap?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
easier just to do a full y8 conversion, the engine can be had for under $500

JDMNorth

Work In Progress.
5+ Year Member
thanks guys. but does the 5th gen engine fit into my civic? like the SIR hatch or something? and you have to change mounts for the Bseries engine right?

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks guys. but does the 5th gen engine fit into my civic? like the SIR hatch or something? and you have to change mounts for the Bseries engine right?
The 92-95 d16z6 will bolt in. It's a obd1 motor so there are a few decisions you have to make.

B-series will fit in easily. Need a 99-00 B16 "L" Bracket (tranny bracket) You can use your stock top mounts that bolt to the frame. I think the torque mounts are the same to but I can't remember. You will need the top mounts that bolt on the side of the motor but usually when you get a swap they come with the motor.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what differences will upgrading to a obd 2 have?
No you have it backwards. Your car is obd2. Usually people go to obd1 for tuning purposes. However if you have emissions laws then goodluck trying to get it to pass.

JDMNorth

Work In Progress.
5+ Year Member
no emissions laws here, you should see all the f**king caravan's that just pour blue smoke everywhere, it's terrible. hick town, thats for sure.

But yea I guess i'm either gonna go with the D15?? i forget the code but i can get one for 740 with ECU and everything, just "plug and play" type deal. well swap and play. for $740, $590 without the ECU, but i am looking for the D16Y8, just can't find any for under a grand as of yet.
But it is really that hard to swap a B18 in? like isn't it just one trans mount or something that you have to customize?

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no emissions laws here, you should see all the f**king caravan's that just pour blue smoke everywhere, it's terrible. hick town, thats for sure.

But yea I guess i'm either gonna go with the D15?? i forget the code but i can get one for 740 with ECU and everything, just "plug and play" type deal. well swap and play. for $740, $590 without the ECU, but i am looking for the D16Y8, just can't find any for under a grand as of yet.
But it is really that hard to swap a B18 in? like isn't it just one trans mount or something that you have to customize?
Wow you are getting raped on prices. I can find d16y8's all day for $500. LS swaps for $1200. Swapping in b-series motors is a piece of cake. There are many writeups on how to swap one in. Seriously why go to a d15 when you have a perfectly healthy running motor??? Like we have all said find a y8 swap or a y8 or z6 head and do a mini-me swap. That will give you a few extra HP. Then add a power adder like boost or nitrous.

JDMNorth

Work In Progress.
5+ Year Member
i just found out i have a vacuum leak, and my tranny has been run HARD way to many laps playing with cars on the tracks of toronto. I think my synconizers are little wore haha. but yea, I'd rather just start new with a good motor. I'd love the B-series if it's going to be easy to do, i'm gonna talk to one of the guys in the shop he said he can get imported engine for $500 plus shipping, even a B18! he says he has some kind of discount threw some company, i have no clue but i'm gonna talk to him.

oh, did I tell you I have 275,000 km's. So yea thats kind of why I want a new engine also.