91 civic hatch is a wiring mess HELP!!!!!!!!!

sonic31710

OK so the other night i was in the 91 hatch i was coming back for a friend of mines house and i hit a little bump in the road i lost my dash lights:???: thought nothing of it got home at like 2am so i went to bed woke up now i don't have dash lights turn signals or a drivers side tail light GREAT:twisted: and if that isn't bad enough my check engine light stays on constantly so i started smelling something burning under my dash it was a little black box call an illumination control module or something like that went to pull a part picked up 3 more fried them to:alcoholic bought a wiring harnness did the same thing so im at a loss someone please help its my daily so i got to have it back please help

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
Check under your hood at the battery terminal, and inside the under hood fuse box, if you hit a bump i would think that a wire has come loose either in that box, or at the terminal and is grounding out, this would probably blow some fuses as well so check all of those. Is your stereo stock or aftermarket? If it is aftermarket, then pull it out and take it out and unplug the adapter harness if there is one. Make sure that none of the wires are exposed or melted. That would be the first things i would look at. also if you can locate exactly what wires are cooking, then all you would have to do is check your Haynes manual ( If you do not have one then leave right now and buy one) Look at the wiring diagrams in the back of the book, and find out what they run to. For example, if the melted wires were all going to the stereo, you have isolated the problem to the stereo. Also, you say it "did the same thing" when you went to replace the harness, do you mean you got no lights, or did they burn up again? And this illumination control module you speak of, is it run to the dash illumination dimmer lever to the left of your steering wheel?

sonic31710

it is an aftermarket radio but it was put in professional and yes when i got the new harness i still had no lights the civic was a project gone wrong for someone so i don't have a dimmer switch he lost it but they did work without it i have done so far is a new harness a entire new under dash fuse box new battery alternator radio replace (pro done) new instrument cluster and 3 different illumination control module and i dont have any melted wires but my check engine light is always on and when i turn the turn signal nothing happens but the check engine light goes away the running lights work and head lights work but the battery light comes on with the check engine light when i hit the hazzard lights switch they light on the cluster but not the outside and the driver side front speaker pops but thank you for responding i have no clue

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
it is an aftermarket radio but it was put in professional and yes when i got the new harness i still had no lights the civic was a project gone wrong for someone so i don't have a dimmer switch he lost it but they did work without it i have done so far is a new harness a entire new under dash fuse box new battery alternator radio replace (pro done) new instrument cluster and 3 different illumination control module and i dont have any melted wires but my check engine light is always on and when i turn the turn signal nothing happens but the check engine light goes away the running lights work and head lights work but the battery light comes on with the check engine light when i hit the hazzard lights switch they light on the cluster but not the outside and the driver side front speaker pops but thank you for responding i have no clue
Just because it was a professional job done, don't count it out. The work was done by a person and people can make mistakes, or wires over time can become exposed. Usually if the lights work but your blinkers/hazards don't, It has to do with the fuse/relay. The only 2 things i can think of is double checking your stereo wiring, and checking the fuses and that relay, but usually the main cause of wires melting like that would be en exposed wire rubbing on metal or another wire

sonic31710

ill go back and double check is there any chance you have a wiring diagram of the radio harrness and the blinkers?

gugiey

Registered VIP
You say you changed the harness . Now what part of the harness did you replace?