95 civic, deciding what motor

leroy12

5+ Year Member
hey guys i have a 95 civic coupe with an auto tranny. im having it converted to manual this weekend. however im looking to get a better motor. by better i mean quick for a street car. i know a person locally that has offered to sell me a zc motor or a b16a with a gsr head. he wants $400 for the b16a with no transmission.
he wants $700 for the zc(unsure whether it has a tranny)

both motors are have stock internals i believe.

he said the zc works fine it will bolt right up to my transmission and is ready to run now.

he says the only thing wrong with the b16a is that the crank needs to be turned? im not sure if thats a major problem so thats why i came here asking for advice.

the motor i have now is a d16z6 all stock.

my goals are to make my motor have around 180hp.

i have $1100 atm so im trying to budget my decision and im mainly looking for a local motor so these to motors are my only choices for now.

so my other question is which motor ???

thanks for the advice!!!!

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
which zc is it? dohc or sohc? vtec or non-vtec? obd0 or obd1? i personaly would go with the b16 but your going to need a little more work. like a trans and well some crank work. hopefully there wont be any othe damage done besides the crank (which there usually is). how many miles are on both? you may also want a new timing belt and tensioner and water pump. for 1100 the b16a will be pushing that just to get it in the car with the extra work and parts needed. the zc will go right in but for that kind of power 1100 probably wont be enough. also is he giving you the ecu for either motor? youll need it.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how about u keep the z6 and boost it?

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how about u keep the z6 and boost it?
also good. dont know why i didnt think of that. supposedly the zc is identical to the z6 anyway.

ZC(similar to D15Z4, D16Z6, D16A1, D16A3, D16A6, D16A8, D16A9 and D16Z5 engines)

A few D-series variants are labelled "ZC" (usually JDM), but they are not truly a different series.

There are both SOHC and DOHC ZC engines.

The non-VTEC SOHC ZC is similar to the D15Z4 and D16A6 engine, but with more aggressive cam timing.

The VTEC SOHC ZC is identical to the D16Z6, and the DOHC ZC is similar to the D16A1, D16A3, D16A8, D16A9 and D16Z5 engines.

ragedeep

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a boosted z6 with a low boost setup could get 180 hp easy i believe, and im researching myself, but im not sure if thats on stock internals or not.

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
unless you boost the b16, its gonna be tough to get it to 180hp. if you're talking about wheel hp. i mean it is only a 1.6 liter. keep the motor you have now, get a manual trans for it and boost it.

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
With your goals id keep the D and boost. 180hp will bore you after sometime tho.

leroy12

5+ Year Member
i ruled the b16 out because the amount of work that might possibly need to be done.

heres the zc

its just recently been rebuilt. it will be coming with the headers but no CAI. it is the DOHC as u can see. its non vtec also. =\

he wants $1000 for the motor and that includes him installing it. he says all it needs to run is a wiring harness.

im thinking i might be better off if i just convert my z6 to 5 speed and start from there because its vtec and the motors are almost identical i believe after reading you guys info.

more advice is welcomed on what i should do!!! I appreciate the help so far!!!

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i ruled the b16 out because the amount of work that might possibly need to be done.

im thinking i might be better off if i just convert my z6 to 5 speed and start from there because its vtec and the motors are almost identical i believe after reading you guys info.

good chioce. ye just convert yours to a 5speed and boost the hell out of it.

newtron63h

5+ Year Member

heres the zc

its just recently been rebuilt. it will be coming with the headers but no CAI. it is the DOHC as u can see. its non vtec also. =\

he wants $1000 for the motor and that includes him installing it. he says all it needs to run is a wiring harness.

THAT ZC is not identical to a D16Z6. but a D16Z6 is definitely a good platform. do you want 180hp at the wheels or at the crank? you are starting at 125hp at the crank and somewhere around 106-112hp to the wheels(this is assuming that the engine is running at 100%...no issues). 1psi of boost is worth roughly 10hp, so youll need approximately 5.5psi to get 180 at the crank which will give you about 153-162hp. OR you would need about 8psi to give you 205hp at the crank which gives you between 175-185hp at the wheels.

so there you go. good luck.

newtron63h

5+ Year Member
unless you boost the b16, its gonna be tough to get it to 180hp. if you're talking about wheel hp. i mean it is only a 1.6 liter. keep the motor you have now, get a manual trans for it and boost it.
you are joking right? you mean to tell me that its hard to get 205hp at the crank out of a B16 N/A? because thats all you need to get 180 to the wheels. you are severely underestimating both the B16 and N/A potential. this also only means that the engine needs to make 130ft/lbs at 8300rpm. or 119ft/lbs at 9000rpm.

Civic Chris

5+ Year Member
The D16Z6 is an excellent platform to work with. First off, do a compression test, or to be completely sure, do a leakdown test, and make sure your engine is healthy.

Once you confirm that, you're ready for the boost.

Turbo kit running 6-7 PSI on a T25 or T3, chipped ECU, header, exhaust, 255 fuel pump, 300CC+ injectors with a good tune, and you'll be 180+ to the wheels, I believe.

leroy12

5+ Year Member
the only thing that im afraid of is boosting my motor because it has 141k miles. im kinda afraid that i will blow my motor rather fast even while only running 6-7 psi. (It's my daily driver if your wandering and i need it to get back and forth to college)

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
dont boost the hell outta the z6. but do build it. you can get a kick ass comp ratio along with some real good internals for 900 bucks. it prolly wouldnt hurt to just save a little more and get it sleeved. after about 2 grand you can have a 200 horse n/a z6. most people wouldnt say it isnt worth it. but when you look at the alternatives... you are more likely to have problems with a b16 due solely to the doch. the zc is basically brand new... but he wants 1000 for it.. and you still have to buy a CAI. sure the doch setup is great. but imho the z6 is a fantastic little work horse of an engine. i built mine from the ground up. set it up in my shop for 2 months and ordered all my parts. it ran me right at 1900 to 2000 bucks. my buddy blew up his y8 and just effin gave me his supercharger because insurance miraculously bought him a new civic. and he hated JRSCs. I built the engine up. and after i got my comp ratio to a peppy 13.9:1 across the board. with the almost totally skunk2 internals in the head, and a brand new cam. along with brand new vlaves, rockerarms and valve guides. entirely new seals throughout. and a full 2.5 inch exhaust. and an HPS CAI.. without the JRSC i made 210 hp at 4800 rpm. and in vtec ran close to 235hp. more like 230. and i am soon to put the jrsc back on. i took it off so i could pass emissions. with the super on there i make 290-300 hp w/o vtec.
so after my little rant.... haha. my point is that the z6 is totally worth the time and money.. at least it was to me. since you just want a quick street car and arent lookin to get into the 10s for the quarter. if you did what i did minus the super... you sir will have a badass civic. my secondary point being that the z6 is the perfect engine for anyone looking for more power, thats on a budget.