96-00 civic shift length reduction for cheap!

AzNb0i

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not sure if it works for all models or not, but i have a 96 hatch (dx)...and the shifter was very loose feeling and had a long throw length...so tonight i was bored...and realized i had an extra shifter from my 91 crx and remebered that the stock throw on the crx was shorter than my civic now...so i took out the shifter on my hatch and held it up to the crx one...and sure enough the crx one was shorter...this means, shorter throw....i popped in the crx shifter into my civic and whammo...i mean...by no means is it a short throw shifter, but it def made a difference...the shifts are much more controlled and not sloppy like before, as well as shortening the throw distance slightly...for something that took me 45 mins and (free for me) it was a great improvement.

so i guess if u have a friend with a crx or something or maybe have a scrap yard around, and dont wanna pay big bucks for a short throw...u can jack one outa crx, lol

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yup, some of the best short shifter is the stock OEM ones. Take the GSR shifter for example, that thing is probably one of the smoothest shifter you can get... too bad it wouldn't fit the D-series without some modifications and even then, it may or may not shift perfect as it would anymore.

But good heads up! I'll try looking into that.

Enjoi

coming back to cars...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The OEM Mazda rx7 shifter is the tightest and most precise shifter I've ever driven before, I gotta agree with SiGSR. OEM is usually the way to go, but there are exceptions.

xmlc216x

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just because the shifter stick is shorter doesnt make it a short throw shifter...thats just like grabbin your shifter lower down on the stick...not trying to make anyone mad just my 2cents...

AzNb0i

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes u are correct....but in actuality it does make the throw slightly shorter....i never said it was a short throw, i just said it tightened up the sloppyness and the throw is a lil shorter, so for an old shifter i had laying around and for 45 mins of my time, it was a nice easy upgrade

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
too bad I already use a crx shifter.. not fair.. know of any that might provide a better shift for me outside of aftermarket?