[96 Civic] Audio System Questions

hndftw

Hey, I have a 96 Civic DX 4-door sedan (everything is unmodified) and I'm interested in upgrading the audio system. Mind you, I have absolutely no experience with car mods =)

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend some products. I'm not looking for top-notch stuff, just stuff that's affordable and sounds nice. And I have no idea what size speakers and stuff I need to if anyone knows that'd be great.

And also, how difficult is it to install amps/speakers/stereo receiver/subs?

Thanks

zammykoo

caffeinated
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you should have 6.5" speakers in the front and 6x9" in rear.

as far as upgrading speakers go its really up to you, go to your nearest electronics store and test some out to your liking. i'd recommend getting brand name equipment such as infinity, pioneer, kenwood, alpine, etc... check amazon for user ratings when shopping for speakers, normally anything around 4-5 stars should be good. and as far as installing them, as long as you know how to use a screwdriver they should be pretty easy to change out.

now for the amp/sub/receiver you'd need to be a bit more experienced with wiring. its not impossible to do it for the very first time by yourself. i've done it and it worked fine for me, I just did plenty of research on it before doing so. I also have some DIY background so that helped too. but as far as getting the right gear, same drill as above

hndftw

Thanks, then I think I'm just gonna stick to speakers for now. If I install new speakers is it necessary to install a new head unit as well? And would either require soldering or anything?

I was able to remove the grills on the front speakers, so that seems pretty straightforward. But the speakers above the trunk, there's no slit or anything like the front ones, am I still supposed to pry their grills off too or do I have to go underneath or something?

I just wanna make sure I can install them before I actually go out and buy stuff =)

Thanks

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First and foremost, what are you goals w/ the setup? Are you wanting clarity, bumps, etc?

I cannot stress how important an aftermarket head unit is. You will NOT get the potential of ANY speaker on a factory unit.
Personally, I've been an Alpine fan for like 10 years. My deck is 6 years old and it's still better than a lot of new ones.

Infinity, MB quarts, FOCAL!!!!!!!!!!!! are the best speaker brands, especially Focal that I favor. I'm all about ear-piercing clarity w/ a good range, though. Amps are important to push what you're having, and you don't HAVE to have a sub to have an amp.

Subs...well you've just entered a category on it's own that has endless possibilities.

Dynomat is going to be your best friend w/ our coupes. That back dash will rattle NO MATTER WHAT, even w/ no sub. The entire back of my car is nothing but dynomat, thank goodness.

LMK if you need help. I'm obsessed w/ the importance of good suspension and stereo. 2 most important parts of a car IMO.
=)

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks, then I think I'm just gonna stick to speakers for now. If I install new speakers is it necessary to install a new head unit as well? And would either require soldering or anything?

I was able to remove the grills on the front speakers, so that seems pretty straightforward. But the speakers above the trunk, there's no slit or anything like the front ones, am I still supposed to pry their grills off too or do I have to go underneath or something?

I just wanna make sure I can install them before I actually go out and buy stuff =)

Thanks
most of the time you can buy a conversion harness from your stock wiring to aftermarket head unit.. you just match up the colors solder and then heat shrink the connection... pretty straight forward.. i GUESS you COULD use butt connectors if you are not comfortable soldering.. it is like a little tube.. strip both wires a little.. then one wire goes in one side.. then the other wire in the other side.. and crimp.. I prefer soldering but that is totally up to you.. the only reason I purchased an aftermarket head unit was so I could burn MP3 disks and play them in the car..

hndftw

Ok that doesn't seem that bad.

I just can't seem to figure out how to access the rear speakers. I've read posts where people had to take the rear seats out, I'm just hoping I don't have to for my model...

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok that doesn't seem that bad.

I just can't seem to figure out how to access the rear speakers. I've read posts where people had to take the rear seats out, I'm just hoping I don't have to for my model...
the upper part of the rear seats fold down.. that will help you see what is going on there better.. don't just rip s**t out or you run the risk of breaking plastic tabs and or fasteners.. taking the seats out isn't honestly all that bad..

eggyhustles

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
First and foremost, what are you goals w/ the setup? Are you wanting clarity, bumps, etc?

I cannot stress how important an aftermarket head unit is. You will NOT get the potential of ANY speaker on a factory unit.
Personally, I've been an Alpine fan for like 10 years. My deck is 6 years old and it's still better than a lot of new ones.

Infinity, MB quarts, FOCAL!!!!!!!!!!!! are the best speaker brands, especially Focal that I favor. I'm all about ear-piercing clarity w/ a good range, though. Amps are important to push what you're having, and you don't HAVE to have a sub to have an amp.

Subs...well you've just entered a category on it's own that has endless possibilities.

Dynomat is going to be your best friend w/ our coupes. That back dash will rattle NO MATTER WHAT, even w/ no sub. The entire back of my car is nothing but dynomat, thank goodness.

LMK if you need help. I'm obsessed w/ the importance of good suspension and stereo. 2 most important parts of a car IMO.
=)
um, no they're not

ever heard if image dynamics? dls? dynaudio? diamond? vifa? peerless? aura? hybrid?

OP, what is your budget?

This is what you'll need

Headunit
Front components(woofer, tweet, and crossover)
2 channel amp
sub(s)
custom box for sub...not some prefab bs
sub amp
Sound deadening.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
um, no they're not

ever heard if image dynamics? dls? dynaudio? diamond? vifa? peerless? aura? hybrid?

OP, what is your budget?

This is what you'll need

Headunit
Front components(woofer, tweet, and crossover)
2 channel amp
sub(s)
custom box for sub...not some prefab bs
sub amp
Sound deadening.
You obviously cannot read. I said THAT I FAVOR. :roll:

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
reading owns you, you f**king morons. jesus christ.
I wouldn't be calling anyone a moron, you worded that like s**t; it came across as if of the 3 "best" brands Focal was what you favored the most.

Back on topic, I would second the Image Dynamics out of what Eggy mentioned. I believe they would be the best choice since almost everything else he mentioned are either DIY drivers (aka raw home theater based drivers repurposed in the car) or way above the price range/quality level of someone who has to be asking for recommendations in the first place. CTX65CS are IMO some of the best affordable speakers out there. Also, there are much better products out there than Dynamat these products have FAR greater use than just rattle controlt; if you're going to be doing sound deadening and sealing most of us who work in the 12v industry would unanimously chose Second Skin products such as Damplifer Pro. As mentioned, start with the source then move down stream; it's all a chain and is only as good as the weakest link. Good luck.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^
image dynamics can get up there in price, too. i LOVE my ID woofers, and they're also meant for small enclosures, which is kinda nice with our little trunks. :lol:

=)

i HATE quarts. just sayin'. haha. but i'll second her opinion on focals. very, very nice, and they don't have to be ungodly expensive.

don't pry s**t off the back dash, lower your seats or open the trunk and you'll be able to see the rear speakers.

personally, i wouldn't go with plain old 6.5s and 6x9s, but that's just me. components are so much nicer, but also require modification for the tweeter, and if you run components off of deck power (or any aftermarket speaker, for that matter), you should be smacked. also, i'd upgrade to a decent head unit before you do anything else.

i could go on and on for recommendations, but the best thing to do is to go hear it all for yourself.

my final thought here is... please let someone who knows what they're doing work on your car. there's nothing worse than jacked up wiring, and if it gets really f**ked up, a shop is gonna charge you more to fix it and think you're an ass to boot. at the very least i'd do it with a friend who knows their s**t, particularly if you're planning on more than just a HU and mids and highs.. *pet peeve*

JDMRacer24

5+ Year Member
well if you want the best you can go with o2 audio, cadence, and digital design i sell all and cheaper then anyone else but if you are on a budget i say go with pioneer, clarion, audiopipe and make sure you upgrade your headunit or speakers aint going to do nothing for sound qaulity

MECP Certified Installer

Dale_K

I just did a head unit replacement on my 2000 SI what I found out is that it's better to do the work yourself. Check out a website called the "Install Doctor". They have specific instructions for how to remove the old parts, etc.

http://www.installdr.com/

The inexpensive brand name head units at Walmart might suit your needs. I found it to be much better than the stock system. It's more powerful, and had features like USB, iPod connectivity and sometimes a display. Totally adequate for me even with the stock speakers. And it was cheap. Mine cost $150 on the clearance rack. It even plays DVDs. A couple of pictures of the Jenson unit I installed.