'97 civic ex

da hulk

5+ Year Member
i was hopin yu guys could help me fix up ma car i got a stock ex...all i could get from my totaled lx were sum accel performance wires....umm any suggestion...im thinking bout doin da cheap mods first

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
eBay intake would be your best bet, then some eBay headers.. After that save up so $$$ for an alarm and a brand name muffler with custom piping.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What do you want from your car? Auto X? Daily? Track? There are so many option and as for visuals it's up to your personal pref. Give us more info and we can help guide you better.

Bruckhoff_34

Built not baught
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What do you want from your car? Auto X? Daily? Track? There are so many option and as for visuals it's up to your personal pref. Give us more info and we can help guide you better.
:word: if you answer the questions above it would help out greatly.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
on a dseries...the only bolt on worth it is an exhaust(and even this is more aesthetics than anything else). and unless your planning on needing a full catback later then just get an axleback and ull be fine. forget headers and intakes...they dont do s**t for your car. if you want looks to start off with then get a nice suspension setup. dont worry about wheels for now. trust me...suspension is something u want to not cheap out on. get basic coilover at least like tein basics or ff2's or something. then it doesnt take 2 much from there really...lips, grill, sidemarkers, wheels and ure golden on the outside. i would leave interior for last.
again...dont spend money on bolt ons for your d...its a waste to spend any money on the d series unless ure spraying or boosting. and if youre boosting then save money and dont worry about headers/intake cause ull be taking them off with boost anyways.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
+1 on suspension.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
on a dseries...the only bolt on worth it is an exhaust(and even this is more aesthetics than anything else). and unless your planning on needing a full catback later then just get an axleback and ull be fine. forget headers and intakes...they dont do s**t for your car. if you want looks to start off with then get a nice suspension setup. dont worry about wheels for now. trust me...suspension is something u want to not cheap out on. get basic coilover at least like tein basics or ff2's or something. then it doesnt take 2 much from there really...lips, grill, sidemarkers, wheels and ure golden on the outside. i would leave interior for last.
again...dont spend money on bolt ons for your d...its a waste to spend any money on the d series unless ure spraying or boosting. and if youre boosting then save money and dont worry about headers/intake cause ull be taking them off with boost anyways.
Unless you are less concerned about the final number and more concerned about moding your civic. It's not sch aa horrible thing to put bolts ons on your car. This could be a good experiance for you because by the op question his experiance with cars seems to be slim. It all depends on what you want from you car and how you want your car to look.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Unless you are less concerned about the final number and more concerned about moding your civic. It's not sch aa horrible thing to put bolts ons on your car. This could be a good experiance for you because by the op question his experiance with cars seems to be slim. It all depends on what you want from you car and how you want your car to look.
QFT. Couldnt be said better..

I hate how people talk so much s**t on intakes and such. Installing an intake gives the OP slight experience with motors and will start doing harder tasks later on (I.E. Headers, rear disks, etc.)

Get an intake OP, like I said, it will be a gateway mod that will aid you into making your Civic faster.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

I hate how people talk so much s**t on intakes and such. Installing an intake gives the OP slight experience with motors and will start doing harder tasks later on (I.E. Headers, rear disks, etc.)

Get an intake OP, like I said, it will be a gateway mod that will aid you into making your Civic faster.
:werd:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
but an intake doesn't do anything. Its not horrible to put one on, but why waste the money if you really don't need to.

For a stock civic...i'd definitely put it in suspension.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I didnt say it was horrible from a modding mindset. yeah i guess if you just want to pile on mods...then go ahead and get an intake. 200 dollars and 1hp later...youll be smacking yourself. what experience will u gain from an intake installation. how to remove some screws and take off the front bumper? if he wants to do it by all means but bolt ons are a waste of money any way u look at it on a d series. and as far as style pts if u want to argue that....every mother and their rice eating kid has an intake and headers and do u really want to pop your hood to show off an intake?

i am not talking s**t about bolt ons...i am just stating my opinion that bolt ons are a waste of money. if its experience he wants go to a meet and ask someone how to install an intake...it wont be a $200.00 5 min learning lesson. I dont think installing an intake can prepare you for anything more than taking off your bumper will or removing the heatshield on your header. A gateway mod?

to the OP: youre ultimately gonna do what u like and thats cool. i was stating my opinion since u asked for it. didnt know people were gonna get butthurt. your money your time.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I didnt say it was horrible from a modding mindset. yeah i guess if you just want to pile on mods...then go ahead and get an intake. 200 dollars and 1hp later...youll be smacking yourself. what experience will u gain from an intake installation. how to remove some screws and take off the front bumper? if he wants to do it by all means but bolt ons are a waste of money any way u look at it on a d series. and as far as style pts if u want to argue that....every mother and their rice eating kid has an intake and headers and do u really want to pop your hood to show off an intake?

i am not talking s**t about bolt ons...i am just stating my opinion that bolt ons are a waste of money. if its experience he wants go to a meet and ask someone how to install an intake...it wont be a $200.00 5 min learning lesson. I dont think installing an intake can prepare you for anything more than taking off your bumper will or removing the heatshield on your header. A gateway mod?

to the OP: youre ultimately gonna do what u like and thats cool. i was stating my opinion since u asked for it. didnt know people were gonna get butthurt. your money your time.

no one is butt hurt

You have to walk before you can run. See your mindset is you want bang for your buck. There is nothing wrong with that. Maybe the op might way to play with his car and learn. He might want to gin experiance. Maybe he will put on an intake then have a desire to start doing other things to his car and maybe putting on that intake will give him confidence to throw a cam in his head or do a turbo vitara setup. I say don't knock mods just because of the final results. I mean people don't do this with everything else in life. You don't go to lunch and go hmmm what on the menu will get me ripped or go to a clothing store and say hmm I want to get the shirt that will get me laid the fastest right. Sometimes its the journey that matters and not the result of the journey.

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no one is butt hurt

You have to walk before you can run. See your mindset is you want bang for your buck. There is nothing wrong with that. Maybe the op might way to play with his car and learn. He might want to gin experiance. Maybe he will put on an intake then have a desire to start doing other things to his car and maybe putting on that intake will give him confidence to throw a cam in his head or do a turbo vitara setup. I say don't knock mods just because of the final results. I mean people don't do this with everything else in life. You don't go to lunch and go hmmm what on the menu will get me ripped or go to a clothing store and say hmm I want to get the shirt that will get me laid the fastest right. Sometimes its the journey that matters and not the result of the journey.
haha i know man. i was telling him not to do those things as my opinion. he asked for an opinion and not u but this other kit got a stick up his ass. i am sorry that i opinion offended you...thats why you have a right to express you own. but anyways. this is off topic so back to the topic at hand. any more inputs for the fella? :cool:

GreenThunder

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Suspention is a good way to start, get sum springs and shocks to drop it. it be a start.
personally i have a 96 ex, i got suspetion and short ram intake for my 1st mods. just got 16" Raixx rims and tires, and DNX exhaust.keep it simple if ya dont plan on spendin crazy $

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but an intake doesn't do anything. Its not horrible to put one on, but why waste the money if you really don't need to.

For a stock civic...i'd definitely put it in suspension.
/thread.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
haha i know man. i was telling him not to do those things as my opinion. he asked for an opinion and not u but this other kit got a stick up his ass. i am sorry that i opinion offended you...thats why you have a right to express you own. but anyways. this is off topic so back to the topic at hand. any more inputs for the fella? :cool:
:cool: slick Yeah I agree with asheros though that if you want a big gains don't go bolt on. Go with juice, turbo, swap. Suspension is a great place to start too. Coilover sleeves are bouncy at time on rough roads but are good if you get quality parts but teins are great.

da hulk

5+ Year Member
well i had a '97 civic lx before...i had da ebay intake ebay header nd custom exhaust...didnt really notice anytin but i liked it i kno ima get an intake jus dont kno which 1 is my best option...then i bought sum ebay springs that suckd ass...which could be the best suspension setup for my car that wont be that expensive but will feel smooth...o nd yea its gonna be a daily driven

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i had a '97 civic lx before...i had da ebay intake ebay header nd custom exhaust...didnt really notice anytin but i liked it i kno ima get an intake jus dont kno which 1 is my best option...then i bought sum ebay springs that suckd ass...which could be the best suspension setup for my car that wont be that expensive but will feel smooth...o nd yea its gonna be a daily driven
even for a dd i would still at least get some basic coilovers or a nice shock/spring combo. i have springs on stock shocks and it rides smooth and it has a nice drop (2") no wheel gap. if you really just want springs...i always recommend hr sports limited editions. theyre progressive springs so even though its 2'' theyre still smooth. ive had em for almost a yr now 2 and shocks are still doing fine. i do kick myself when summer comes around though cause i cant slam my car with no coilovers.

Zor_Primo

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Roger that. I'd go header and exhaust first. Help the sucker breath. You can do without an intake just by going with a new drop in filter. Suspension is a must. Lowering a Civic and a basic strut bar does wonders to how the car handles.

da hulk

5+ Year Member
i dont kno bout a 2" drop i think itl waste ma tires way too fast...i wus thinkin mor like 1.5" anybody kno da smoothest setup for that