97 PRELUDE - Fans kicking in late?

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
So like title says, I have a 97 lude base model. Temp gauge goes up to about 3/4 and then the radiator fans kick on. I hooked a scanner up and found that the fans are turning on at about 214 degrees F. From what else I found the fans are supposed to kick on at 199 degrees F. I know that its not way overheating, but still runs hotter than factory spec. Maybe this is normal or maybe I am missing something, idk. I'm not real familiar with preludes.

Just for reference: only CEL is an EGR insufficient flow code, not really related, but thought I would mention it. Also I replaced the rad fan temp switch (on the t-stat housing) and no difference.

Hope you guys can help!

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Are you sure it's the fan? Sounds to me like you may have a higher temp thermostat. You can go to your local parts store (o'reily's, autozone, etc.) and they can give you one for the stock recommended temperature.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Are you sure it's the fan? Sounds to me like you may have a higher temp thermostat. You can go to your local parts store (o'reily's, autozone, etc.) and they can give you one for the stock recommended temperature.
lol I know where to get a t-stat. I didn't think that the t-stat would be the issue, simply because I thought that if the temp sender sensor was right, the fans would kick on regardless of when the t-stat opened. But I guess since the sensor is on the hose side of the t-stat and not the block side, then it wouldn't get a reading until the t-stat opened?

VigLink badge