97 PRELUDE - Fans kicking in late?

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by 00siboy, Nov 10, 2011.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. 00siboy

00siboy lurkin... Registered VIP

So like title says, I have a 97 lude base model. Temp gauge goes up to about 3/4 and then the radiator fans kick on. I hooked a scanner up and found that the fans are turning on at about 214 degrees F. From what else I found the fans are supposed to kick on at 199 degrees F. I know that its not way overheating, but still runs hotter than factory spec. Maybe this is normal or maybe I am missing something, idk. I'm not real familiar with preludes.

Just for reference: only CEL is an EGR insufficient flow code, not really related, but thought I would mention it. Also I replaced the rad fan temp switch (on the t-stat housing) and no difference.

Hope you guys can help!

2. 2slo4u

2slo4u wait4me Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Have you tried changing out the thermostat?

3. young_

young_ out on bail Staff Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Are you sure it's the fan? Sounds to me like you may have a higher temp thermostat. You can go to your local parts store (o'reily's, autozone, etc.) and they can give you one for the stock recommended temperature.

4. 00siboy

00siboy lurkin... Registered VIP

lol I know where to get a t-stat. I didn't think that the t-stat would be the issue, simply because I thought that if the temp sender sensor was right, the fans would kick on regardless of when the t-stat opened. But I guess since the sensor is on the hose side of the t-stat and not the block side, then it wouldn't get a reading until the t-stat opened?