98 civic d16 suspension

Joshs civic e-j

hey guys, my civic d16 sedan is stock and i hate the handling its too soft,and the rear shocks makes creaking noises when i go up driveways or bumps.my friend said i can get just the springs for cheap but wont that creaking continue?and is that really a good way to improve handling and lower the car?im on a budget but want good handling and of course wana lower it,and from what ive looked at its abot $100-$200 for the coilover springs,but about $700 for the whole set with shocks so its a big difference in price but is it in performance? any feedback will b apreciated.........thanx :idea:

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can get a set of okay lowering springs for about that price range. However they're only going to be lowering you a couple inches, and you probably won't be happy with just that. And chances are the creaking will continue, however it depends on what exactly the creaking is coming from.

It would be a lot easier and better if you bought one piece coilovers or a spring/strut set-up. Once you start putting lowering springs on stock struts (especially if they're causing you issues now) it's just added stress on them since they're not used to handling it. It will ride a lot better and last a lot longer if you get struts that are engineered for handling low.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
unless you only plan on lowering about an inch to 1.5. you will have to buy quality aftermarket struts, which your already looking at a couple hundred then plus spring costs. running coil sleeves on your stock struts will blow them.

you can not lower a car for under 200 correctly

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I concur with all posts thus far. I want to add in my $0.02.

If you want to lower the right way and have quality parts, expect to spend $5-600 MINIMUM on suspension parts alone. That's JUST for bare minimum - springs/shocks or coilovers. Tack on another $100 or so for an alignment which is absolutely necessary.

For improved handling, you'd be okay with springs/shocks or coilovers. A rear sway bar (especially a 19+mm) & subframe brace will drastically improve handling after it's lowered. Getting aftermarket wheels and good street summer tires will help you grip more. After all that, if you're still not happy, get more aggressive spring rates and tires and the car will handle even better.

For the whole 9.... Lowering springs/shocks or coilovers, 19+mm rear sway bar & subframe reinforcement brace, aftermarket wheels, summer tires, alignment.... Easily looking at a couple thousand at the end of the day.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
john that is not true and misleading. you can find great deals from our vendors, and other members in the used parts classifieds. you can get tokico hp ya know the blue ones for about $250 a set, you can get used springs which by the way wont likely be worn out due to the fact that they are springs.... for $100 a nice set of teins can be had for that price if you look hard enough. you car will be lower, alignment can be made up with the stock setup for around $100.

Joshs civic e-j

that makes sense,but where else could the creaking come from? if i change the whole set up it should stop right?...@ johns,,ouch thousands!!.. truth hurts lol thanx.. @ buzz yeah that sounds good considering ima daily drive it and just on a budget..i havent seen any at around 250 but then again have only had the car and been looking for a couple days,..thanx people!!! =)i think ill look for used high quality ones for around 300 at most,and take johns advice and get a 19+mm sway bar.

Joshs civic e-j

unless you only plan on lowering about an inch to 1.5. you will have to buy quality aftermarket struts, which your already looking at a couple hundred then plus spring costs. running coil sleeves on your stock struts will blow them.

you can not lower a car for under 200 correctly

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
http://www.clubcivic.com/store/shocks_c70.html look here, if you pm the vendor they usually give you a better rate, show some interest, some enthusiasm and tell them you are new to modding, remember they want good feedback and reputation, as well as brand loyalty. dont forget, you are daily driving so no need for wiz bang parts, you will not need to get uber adjustable struts or spring combos. its squeeking because its old and perhaps out of lubrication

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The squeeking could be coming from the shocks themselves(wearing out internally) or from one of the numerous bushings on your cars suspension. If you want to get rid of the noise, find it first. Throwing money at the car is a great way to waste money and not solve your problems. Check all of your bushings for cracks, tears, etc.. Check your shocks for any signs of leaking(fluid around the shock body).

As for aftermarket suspension stuff, do a little research before you buy anything. Stay away from the cheap stuff found on eBay.

Here's a good start: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=206087

Unkeptjustin

ok dude, i know everyone out online says "dont touch coilover sleeves, dont touch coilover sleeves, they suck and break"
well i thought i would be the guy to see if what they really say is true, and dude, its not. Heres my full review on my k2 motors adjustable coilover sleeves for 50 bucks.
They arrived at my house on time and packaged very well. The hardest part of getting them in is to get your rear shocks out cause in my cause my lca bolts were frozen. Anyway i got them installed and stuff, and they are preatty stiff, iv ridden in cars with amazing suspension, im not gonna lie, its not racecar quality, but its better than stock and better than just springs. Iv had them on my car with EVERYTHING ELSE SUSPENSION WISE IS STOCK, so there the sleeves on stock struts, and they havnt blow and im dropped about 2.75 in, gonna go lower in the summer, heres a link to them
http://www.k2motor.com/co-cv88-atw.html

they work well and they arent what people claim

AND THERE ADJUSTABLE FROM STOCK HEIGHT ALL THE WAY TO 4 INCHES LOWER, and anywhere in between

[/IMG]

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U will eventually blow ur struts if u dont buy a compatible setup that was meant for lowering a car.

I would suggest replacing all of your worn out bushings on the entire car also...