'98 Civic DX.... Sale or part out

Brewster

I currently have a 1998 Civic DX. My tranny(automatic) is starting to have issues. As I understand it's about $1500 to rebuild. I honestly don't want to take a chance on a used tranny. The car is in descent shape, but I'm not sure it's worth sinking $1500 in it to rebuild. Car has approx 173k miles. Opinions needed

RonJ

Banned
Take a chance on a used auto tranny because many people do auto to manual tranny swaps - making good auto trannys available.

By removing old tranny and installing replacement tranny yourself, the cost will be minimal.

Brewster

Is it really that tedious of a job. My tranny builder said if he built mine he wouldn't guarantee it unless he did the actual install.

RonJ

Banned
Is it really that tedious of a job. My tranny builder said if he built mine he wouldn't guarantee it unless he did the actual install.
$1500! Never pay for an auto tranny rebuild.

The labor cost alone is way more expensive than just buying a replacement. And if you have tools and jacks, you could easily remove and install the trannys in a weekend.

And what exactly convinces you that your auto tranny is bad?

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes, why do you think it is bad? I have seen used complete AT trans for as low as $150 in my area.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Do the job yourself. Tedious only because of the many steps required, but once you finish you will notice it was simple and not worth 1500 dollars at all. I have seen used trannys here for 100 bucks. Don't want to take a chance? buy it anyways and replace the necessary parts to have piece of mind. You will find that you will at most spend anywhere from 200-500 if you find deals and around 800 if you don't. After everything is set and done. that's 700-1000 dollars less. Imo worth it, and if you ever have tranny issues again you would have already done it once. Making the second time a breeze.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I just gave away my D auto tranny from last years manual swap this past weekend. Sat in my garage for a WHOLE YEAR before someone would finally take it off my hands. I didn't want to through it away but I nearly did a few times. It was attached to a complete running long block too =) ... All for free.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I just gave away my D auto tranny from last years manual swap this past weekend. Sat in my garage for a WHOLE YEAR before someone would finally take it off my hands. I didn't want to through it away but I nearly did a few times. It was attached to a complete running long block too =) ... All for free.
If only you weren't all the way in Alaska. i would have picked it up in a heartbeat.

Brewster

It slips between 2-3 and 3-4. Now it's starting to slip on take off at times. It's my daily driver also. I can't afford to have this car go down. 120 mile round trips to work every week

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
It slips between 2-3 and 3-4. Now it's starting to slip on take off at times. It's my daily driver also. I can't afford to have this car go down. 120 mile round trips to work every week
Depending on how motivated and dexterous you are you can get this done on a day off or overnight if your really dedicated. I used to work 16 hour shifts 7 days a week with 1 day off every two weeks, and i managed to do it to my civic. If you aren't so dedicated, then i think it should have been clear to just sell the car as a whole and buy a new(old) one. Parting out can take months. If you need a car that bad, then parting out isn't really an option.

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL codes? Is the D4 light blinking?

Have you checked the ATF level?

Have you ever replaced the ATF?

Brewster

Any CEL codes? Is the D4 light blinking?

Have you checked the ATF level?

Have you ever replaced the ATF?
No CEL

Tranny fluid level is good and it looks good as well

No light blinking either

I have it looking how I want it. Rides good. What is the best tranny to try to find. It's lowered on 17's if that matters.

RonJ

Banned
This is what you should try before you consider replacing the transmission, which probably has the original old factory Honda ATF in it:

1. Buy 9 bottles of this - http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/automatic-transmission-fluid/37 - I have found this ATF at Walmart for about $3 per quart.
  2. Drain the old ATF from your transmission and refill with about 2.9 quarts of fresh ATF.
  3. Start engine and slowly move the transmission through all the gears (P, R, N, D4, D3, D2), pausing briefly at each gear. Do this several times. Turn engine off.
  4. Repeat the ATF drain and refill cycle (steps 2-3) two more times.
  5. Check whether the transmission now shifts gears without slipping.

Attachments

Brewster

So the Maxlife will work as well as the original Honda ATF.... I called Honda and they said like $8-9 qt.

Brewster

Drain and refill is done. To my surprise it shifts and drives better than it has in 2 years. I think it may still slip just a little between 2-3 gear. I will keep an ear out and see what happens