'98 Civic LX auto: gushed oil

austynf11

I drive a 98 Honda Civic LX. Automatic trans. Everything is stock.

Alright so a few days ago I started hearing like a popping/crackling noise coming from the fronf end whenever I would give the car gas. Well me being me I didnt think much of it and continued driving. This morning when I drove it I noticed the noise sounded much more harsh and more like a metal on metal noise. Eventually the car lost engine power, I heard a loud pop, and there was a bit of white smoke. I pulled over and I checked and saw that alot of oil was gushing onto the street from the bottom rear side of the engine. When it happened the engine didnt die it kept running but I shut it off quickly. Not sure if it'll start now because I dont want to try and screw anything up worse than it is. Any ideas on what the issue is or where the oil is coming from? Just any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

dancam

Registered VIP
You crawling under or looking down from the top or getting someone else who can look at the car to do that is the way to go. Us trying to guess is pointless. Once you have identified where the oil is coming from then we can help you. When was your last engine oil change and transmission oil change and have you checked the levels since they were changed or after this happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

austynf11

You crawling under or looking down from the top or getting someone else who can look at the car to do that is the way to go. Us trying to guess is pointless. Once you have identified where the oil is coming from then we can help you. When was your last engine oil change and transmission oil change and have you checked the levels since they were changed or after this happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This all happened today. I'll try finding where the oil is coming from again in a minute. The engine oil was changed last in November. Do you have any idea what the issues leading up to the oil gushing out could be?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Youve given absolutely no info on possible locations so its impossible for us to guess with accuracy as it could be many things. Inspect the engine, take pictures, then post them here.

Also, I'm moving this into the correct section, relocating your car info, and changing your title to something useful as "HELP!!!" gives no info and doesnt help you at all. Clear details from the start go a long way. Please keep these things in mind for future reference.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
If you could possibly take some pictures while under there it would definitely help those who are willing to help you! Thanks.