98 Honda Civic - $3900

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I personally prefer the 96-98 Front end since it's just different now :what: I'd prefer a 6th Gen over a 5th Gen only because I know I dont like the "bubbley" look of a 5th Gen... too round for me. I prefer the 6th Gen civics because of their sharper lines and much cleaner rear end. Only downfall for me about a 96-98 is that the temp controls are manual. But you do get the cooler cup holders :lol: Check for mods, clutch slippage, how much tread is left on the tires, ask if its ever been in any type of accidents, and anything else mentioned before.

So much for being your LAST car thread eh? :rolf:

Partizan

im gay n proud luv my car
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah..this is harder than I thoughs. Now im looking at a prelude.... :cries:

anyone know if preludes are jacked more/less than civics?

found a 93 honda prelude si

5speeds manual, 5 speeds manual....clean tittle, clean tittle, original mileages...... body straight, inside good,
runs very fast, mechanically perfect, transmission is smooth. again, clean tittle
features: 2.3L si engine, no modification, cold AC, CD player, sunroof, alloywheel, power lock, tilt wheel, cruise control, power windows.....
what is new: oil change, clutch, new axels,smogged, tires are ok, brakes are ok

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Less according to national statistics. I can't remember ever seeing a Prelude on one of those top ten lists.

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Astheros said:
id go for the 5th gen in this case...6th gens are cool but youll have more money to mod with the 5th gen. also check for frame damage and as always...carfax is a must to check for accidents that may have caused frame damage. shocks. leaking hoses. door locks. lights. all i can think of right now.
CARFAX isnt always right though, my car was in an accident and it was never reported on carfax... my accident where I bent my frame was never reported on carfax either. It all depends on whether the state recieves a report or not

Astheros

AMPhotography
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SphynxJDM96 said:
CARFAX isnt always right though, my car was in an accident and it was never reported on carfax... my accident where I bent my frame was never reported on carfax either. It all depends on whether the state recieves a report or not
true...but checking is better than not. :-)

Rubixcu7

Not Fittin In...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AliasNeo said:
also i think 3900 is expencive for a 98... i got my 96 ex with 100k for 3400.
Try to remember.... were out here in killa cali... lol nothing is cheap. i got my 99excoupe for 5300 w/115k miles and that was a steal.

to the original poster... its all up to preferance mainly. w/ the 5th gen u would have an easier time getting a new motor for it and getting it B.A.R. approved here in cali because the car is so old. but IMO i dont really like the front or back end of the 5th gen coupes. but whatever makes u happy man. its ultimately your decision. dont let anyone swing you one way or the other... you are the one who has to drive this car... not someone else.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I do not think $3900 is expensive for a '98 Civic. I've seen much higher prices on the East Coast around Delaware and here in Washington. I'd be likely to find them for $5,000-$6,900 for a 6th gen Civic at the cheapest. I've seen them commonly cost as much as $8,000, or for Sis, $10,000+.

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Astheros said:
true...but checking is better than not. :-)
yep, it does say that my car failed emissions one year due to a bad o2 sensor

Partizan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay test drove a 96 HX today, tomorrow hopefuly Il test drive the other two. This car had some odd noises. One was a whisteling sound, yet it had a stock airbox. The second one was that it always felt if there was some metal hanging and f**king bouncing around. Plus it was leeking oil. Not going back there for sure.

ChoNNe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Partizan said:
I dont know where you guys live but here in bay area, that is a nice price for a 6th gen :shock:
so true!!!....supply and demand i guess...... but yea... i'd go with the 6th gen!! they got the better ass!! ;)

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
look at the brakes, axles(make sure the boots arent cracked/torn) check for exhaust leaks, oil leaks, trans fluid leaks. its gonna be hard to check it over real well without a lift, i would suggest making an appointment with a local mechanin or somone to check out if for you, i know we charge a half hour to look your car over. but you figure a 35 dollar loss if you dont get the car is better than a 3500 dollar f**k up..

Partizan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions. So does anyone still know what that whistlin sound was?