A/C line replacement Question

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OK here's the deal. I've got to replace my O2 sensor but to do that I have to replace my exhaust mani since the dumb s**t who did it the first time didn't put anti-seize on it so now its not coming off. I'm fine with that though, I wanted to get a nice header anyway. Now the problem is my low pressure line is bent and leaning against the heat shield (i had to remove one of the heat shield bolts because it was cutting through the a/c line) so if i put on a header I'm sure it will just melt right through the line. So, I ordered a new line and am going to replace it but I need to know a couple things first. Now I know that r134a is flammable but not until like 1400 degrees (i had planned on heating up the line and bending it back) but i need to know if it would be OK to just unscrew the line and release the refrigerant, then replace the line and refill the system. I was told that there is oil in the system so obviously i will be covering the line with a towel or something to try and keep the engine bay as clean as possible. My other question is when I go to refill the system will I need to add oil as well or just get a couple cans of r134a at Autozone? The parts don't some in till Tuesday and I'm not doing this until Saturday so I'm just trying to get as much info as possible.

jdm jim

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you should be able to bend it by hand or carefully use a pry bar. technically you are not supposed to "vent" the freon, its supposed to be captured. but i think yours should hold 1.5 lbs of freon.

I Got Sol 93

5+ Year Member
your not supposed to just vent freon because of the environment. but anyways, if you are going to vent it out make sure you dont just unscrew a line and let it go out there since its under pressure. unscrew the schrader(sp?) valve. and you need to make sure to get oil back into the system when you put freon in it. otherwise you will ruin your compressor. probably easier to put it together and then take it to a shop and let them add freon and oil to the system.

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you should be able to bend it by hand or carefully use a pry bar. technically you are not supposed to "vent" the freon, its supposed to be captured. but i think yours should hold 1.5 lbs of freon.
the way its bent if i just try to bend it by hand it will snap. its almost to the point that its kinked but not quite. thats why i was going to heat it up.

your not supposed to just vent freon because of the environment. but anyways, if you are going to vent it out make sure you dont just unscrew a line and let it go out there since its under pressure. unscrew the schrader(sp?) valve. and you need to make sure to get oil back into the system when you put freon in it. otherwise you will ruin your compressor. probably easier to put it together and then take it to a shop and let them add freon and oil to the system.
yeah thats what i figured. i'll have to talk to my mech and see what he'll charge me. if its cheap ill have him do it. if not then i'll do it. moneys tight.