a fram oil filter killed my car

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I use fram , and nothing like this ever happened to me. What is the double gasket?

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn bro, so how bad did it f**k w/ the motor?? you knockin?? and i HATE where honda put the filter

weksos

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
j_fukin_t said:
damn bro, so how bad did it f**k w/ the motor?? you knockin?? and i HATE where honda put the filter

relocate kits FTW =)

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it's worse on the K-Series... Pretty much requires a filter wrench and you have to go from the top.

mracer29

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
justinwebb said:
see i know that it was a double gasket because i took the old one out of the trash and it was still on the filter ;) i'm not retatrded or a rookie i know what i am doing
ok....... so your saying that your not a rookie? and your saying that your old one had a gasket in the trash?? so did you dip your finger in oil and lube the new gasket before you installed your new filter? if so you didnt notice that the gasket seemed to be a lil thick? or maybe relize that when you screwed the new filter on that it probably even seat on its mount??

lol anyway look at it as a learning experance......

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no ones retarded or anything.
we all make mistakes and sometimes they're big but they happen for a reason. we all learn from something.

but i still really hate my dad for doing that

RedLine42

High Speed
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think you installed it incorrectly, don't they come with one and the second one was probably stuck to it from the filter you used before, causing it to leak.

jak

shaken...... not stirred.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
RedLine42 said:
I think you installed it incorrectly, don't they come with one and the second one was probably stuck to it from the filter you used before, causing it to leak.
he already said that that was'nt what happened. the old gasket came off with the old filter and he did'nt notice the extra thickness of the new gasket when he lubed it, and put it on. it must of not leaked at first some how at first, but eventually started leaking and you know the rest. chalk one up to the school of hard knocks. i would think you would have noticed the extra thickness of the gasket but accidents happen, too bad it didnt start leaking all over the place cause u would have caught it before damage occured. hope u get some money from fram cause after all it was a difective product.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh, i'm not doubting that Fram may have provided a filter with two gaskets from the factory. Their QC has had issues dating back to the early '80's when they destroyed many Suzuki roller bearing crank engines. I think parent company Honeywell is more concerned with the bottom line than providing a quality product.

like you said, Seems like you'd notice the extra gasket when you lubed it before installation.....unless of course you make a rookie mistake. ;)

He can probably get some money on a labor claim. After about $1000. though most companies deem it to be acceptable to go ahead and put their corporate lawyers on the case. And unless you got Racehorse Haynes or re-animate Johnny Cocharan, you'll lose.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
purolator pure-one is the way to go... screw fram

fventura03

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:
User error.

Should have noted that your old filter was sans-a-gasket.

Look, I'm sorry this s**t happened to you but the responsibility falls on whomever double gasketed the filter install. Not the company that manufactured the filter.
happened to me once, yep. user error. no need to call up fram for your own stupidity.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Liz said:
This is why I don't change my own oil. If the place screws it up its on them...
not really. they make you sign a waiver when you leave your car with them. i know ive been screwed over because of it.

PhntmSk8r

H23VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is why i always run my finger around the outside of the filter after i install it and feel for any places it may not of sealed to the block.

Dont forget to check everything before you change your oil next time.

Arcane Hayter

I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've never heard of this happening before, I'll be more careful for sure. I did have a friend that put a Fram filter on his Corsica and it collapsed then blew the engine. It didn't stop me from using Fram on all my vehicles though. :lol:

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nothing but user error. if u tell them u had two gaskets stacked..they will do nothing for u

havent u heard to check ur old filter when making an oil change to make sure the old seal came off with the old oil filter? or atleast run ur finger around where the filter goes to make sure there is no debree

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ooolllllddddd

changed my oil last thursday and right after i peeled the old gasket off the block and before i was bout to stick the new shiny FRAM high mileage filter on, this topic came to mind and i laughed to myself.