Abusing the Rev limit

webcamcivic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is a stupid question but i need to know. i having your motor reving, untill it hits the rev limiter, for a while really a bad thaing. isn't the rev limiter for safety

Last edited by a moderator:

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
yes it's bad... will it blow your motor to hold it there for a few seconds? most likely no
but it adds un-needed wear and tear to your motor that will eventually lead to bigger problems

and i'll fix it for you this time, but in the future please dont write entire posts in large font :thumbs up

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
np bro

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I do alot of autocross, and hit my rev limit all the time, should I be worried about probs. I never keep it there, as that would kill my times, but I do hit it.

stealthsi009

sTEalth MOde
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
webcamcivic said:
This is a stupid question but i need to know. i having your motor reving, untill it hits the rev limiter, for a while really a bad thaing. isn't the rev limiter for safety
yeaht the rev limiter is for safety. If you rev your motor til it hits the rev limiter all the time you will eventually have major problems. Like loss of power due to low compression. Then you will need to do a valve and head job done and also have to replace pistons to restore the compression.

banzai

Exit Speed Garage
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can rev my engine high for a long time =) muhaha, but I have full rev launch...

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
webcamcivic said:
the Limits there just so you wont go over, stayin at it a long time is bad.. ill compair it to need for speed UnderGround, u ever Do a Drag run what happens if you dont shift be4 it hits red? the motor Blows ( i know i dont happen like that ) but if you think about it you keep doin it and things start little by little.. just my 2cents, but on the other hand bringin it to the limit then shiftin isnt as bad, but still not safe