Adj. Cam gears

needanew1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Would i need to upgrade from my stock itr camshafts in order to use cam gears? And when i supercharge my ITR which skunk2 camshafts would i need if i needed to upgrade them?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If I'm reading it correctly, you're asking if you need to upgrade your ITR camshafts to use adjustable cam gears?

For the first question, I'd say no. Adjustable cam gears are mostly bling if you don't have serious mods. But if you get aftermarket camshafts, it's probably a good idea to get adjustable cam gears so you can tune the car according to the more aggressive camshafts.

As for the second question, skunk2 have specific cam's meant for engines with forced induction. They're their turbo cam's.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in which case at the same time, if you get an upgraded camshaft, youll typically need some upgraded valve springs and retainers as well.

needanew1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alright, so if i turbo'd or supercharged my R then would i benefit from using cam gears with stock camshafts? and how much of a pain is installing cam shafts? would i need to pull my engine?

JDMSiR

aka JR-Style
5+ Year Member
if you dont know if you need to pull the engine or not to change the cams, you should not do it. get someone to help you perhaps? and remember to follow proper break-in on the new cams.

needanew1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
JDMSiR said:
if you dont know if you need to pull the engine or not to change the cams, you should not do it. get someone to help you perhaps? and remember to follow proper break-in on the new cams.
the only stuff i know about cars ive learned from message forums and asking questions... ive never had someone i knew who built engines before... so my 3 hrs or so a day on forums only gets me so far without asking questions...

thanks for the replys everyone :lol:

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I seriously doubt you need to do this yourself if you are asking these kind of questions. It'll only be a little over a $100 to get something like this done somewhere. You have several things that need to be checked. You will need to obvously get everything out and put it back the way it came but you will also need to make sure the engine is less than 90 degrees F when this is done or if you get the correct clearance when it is hot then the metals will expand when it warms up and you will have a bad tick or could prematurely wear your cam lobes off or wear out your valvetrain. You will need to get the engine timed back up and will need the proper clearances between the cam and the rocker arm.

needanew1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea man, its all good im going to learn how to work on my car by having someone i know help me at the same time, instead of having to pay a mechanic every time i need to install something or fix something. Im almost 18 and i have ALOT of time ahead of me to learn this stuff so im just going to try and learn as i go this way i can do he work myself when i get older