Advice on a super low miles civic sedan

twobone

Hi,

I'm having a car shipped from a family member on the west coast (BC). She is too old to drive and has a red 90' civic sedan with 30,000 km. Yup, thats right...30K. I think its an automatic (too bad eh!)

So assuming nothing jumps out as being wrong with the car, I'm planning to do the following:
-water pump and timing belt
-tires
-brakes
-replace all fluids

With shipping thats going to put me back about $3,000....but I assume I'm going to have a nice little Honda to run around.:D

To be honest I've never seen the car. She had it in her garage and only drove it once in a blue moon around the corner. I believe it is in pristine shape

Any other advice on maintenance or things to watch out for?

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
just drive it and wait for check engine lights. i would change the oil frequently for the first few thousand miles.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The water pump, timing belt and brakes probably don't need anything done to them. Not like they go bad from sitting.

gugiey

Registered VIP
The water pump, timing belt and brakes probably don't need anything done to them. Not like they go bad from sitting.
Actually brakes do go bad from sitting .
The calipor can seize the slider bolts can seize and the lubricants can dry up resulting in uneven brake pad wear.

It's recommended to service your brakes every year .

I would suggest checking the belts but don't take the hole engine apart . Just check the ac and ps belt for cracks and then take the top timing cover off to expose your cams and check the teeth on that if all looks good just leave It

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Actually brakes do go bad from sitting .
The calipor can seize the slider bolts can seize and the lubricants can dry up resulting in uneven brake pad wear.

It's recommended to service your brakes every year .

I would suggest checking the belts but don't take the hole engine apart . Just check the ac and ps belt for cracks and then take the top timing cover off to expose your cams and check the teeth on that if all looks good just leave It
He didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I've had the same brakes on my POS Jeep for 3 years because I only drive it during the winter. Do you work for a dealership or something? There's plenty of worthless things that are "recommended" that don't do anything but waste money. He really needs to drive it before he goes wasting hundreds of dollars on something that might not need anything done to it. Of course, squeaking breaks isn't catastrophic like a broken timing belt might be lol