Aftermarket Headlights reliable???

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I need a new pair of headlights and would like a pair with clear corners for my '98 Civic. The problem is that I'm reading too many stories of aftermarket headlights fogging up because of sealing issues and people having to reseal them over and over.

Are there any companies that make 100% reliable aftermarkert headlights with non-sealant problems?

radarblips

WELCOME TO VUVLAR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Eagle eye?
I had my driverside headlight replaced with one of these when I first bought my civic and I haven't had any problems with it. Imo just don't go cheap on whatever your buying and you shouldn't have any problems.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
fogging is normal. there is no way a headlight can be vacuum sealed, because it gets in around the bulb sockets. even my stocks used to fog, and now so do my projectors. it evaporates later so no problems. depends on the climate i guess too. i've never had fogging in nevada, but now in illinois with 100% humidity it happens alot.

Sean Gibson

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just turn your lights on for a few mins and it will disappear...

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you can run an extra bead of seal around the headlight....and put some seal in the lil petoinks. condensations will show up because of the changing tempatures in the headlights but once you turn them on, all of the condensation usually dries up!

johno590

f**k thieves
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've had my aftermarket headlights that I bought off ebay for probably almost a year now. I've never had a problem with them fogging up or anything. They've been great and I only spent around 60 dollars on mine.

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought my clears off ebay (Eagle Eyes) and had them on for 3-4 years now. No issues here. Unless there is an extreme amount of humidity I get a bit of fogging, but that will happen to stock pieces too.

G/L on the purchase.

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking into CTR replicas b/c I don't feel comfortable spending between $400-$500 for real JDM CTR's. From the responses it appears Eagle Eyes is the company to go with. I think Ebay would be my best bet. Any suggestions to reliable web sites with decent prices for replica CTR's? Thanks.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
One way to get around the fogging is either vaccuum out the lens and seal them up but who does that. What I did is simple an easy. I tried the trick of turning your lights on and letting the heat clear the fog. Did not work because I have projector headlights, not sure about non-projector headlights. What I did was the rubber cap on the back of the head light I pulled half way off to give the headlight a ventalation opening. I don't have problems with fog anymore.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just put an extra bead of silicon on there and you will be good to go

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
idk how smart of an idea it is...but its worked for me...i had the smae problem...every1 told me ta take my lite out and drive around with it ou...that worked but it got annoyin...so i drilled a tiny hole in mine and i never had a problem again

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
xxsenceo89x said:
idk how smart of an idea it is...but its worked for me...i had the smae problem...every1 told me ta take my lite out and drive around with it ou...that worked but it got annoyin...so i drilled a tiny hole in mine and i never had a problem again
Where did you drill the hole?

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DetainedCivic said:
One way to get around the fogging is either vaccuum out the lens and seal them up but who does that. What I did is simple an easy. I tried the trick of turning your lights on and letting the heat clear the fog. Did not work because I have projector headlights, not sure about non-projector headlights. What I did was the rubber cap on the back of the head light I pulled half way off to give the headlight a ventalation opening. I don't have problems with fog anymore.
That's not a bad idea. I'll give it a shot.

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cgpEJ6 said:
just put an extra bead of silicon on there and you will be good to go
Do you mean to run a line of silicon around the entire housing where the lens meets the housing?

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's another question...would it be ok to buy a set of headlights manufactured by Eagle Eye that were not DOT or SAE approved? The law enforcement where I live wouldn't give me a problem if I didn't have DOT or SAE approved headlights so I'm not worrying about that. I know that if headlights are not DOT or SAE they're basically for show only.

needanew1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
civicjoe8 said:
Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking into CTR replicas b/c I don't feel comfortable spending between $400-$500 for real JDM CTR's. From the responses it appears Eagle Eyes is the company to go with. I think Ebay would be my best bet. Any suggestions to reliable web sites with decent prices for replica CTR's? Thanks.
http://www.makotoautotrends.com/

$90 for almost all of their headlights

sisco_09

5+ Year Member
I have some cleared around one sitting around i haven't had a problem with them the only reason y i don't use them is because i got the black housing ones give me a price n if you want a pic pm me with ur email n i'll send it to u

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
needanew1 said:
http://www.makotoautotrends.com/

$90 for almost all of their headlights
Thanks for the website. They had a pair of headlights that looked interesting. Clears with ion blue lens and chrome look. What's with ion lenses? What exactly is it and does it affect the lighting of the bulbs? Too bad all their 96-98 headlights are out of stock. I'm going to give them a call.

civicjoe8

anomaly8
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sisco_09 said:
I have some cleared around one sitting around i haven't had a problem with them the only reason y i don't use them is because i got the black housing ones give me a price n if you want a pic pm me with ur email n i'll send it to u
PM sent.