Aftermarket radio wont turn on

daperez13

Respected
Wow, what a clusterfuck! And it supposedly had a "competition sound system"?

Ok, first, let's check the harness again. See picture (attached) and test at the back of the harness (where your left thumb is). Make sure the fuse is good and that you are making good contact with the pins.

Attachments

mannyfreskko

I get a 12V connection between the black and yellow w red stripe wire. I get 0V connection between the black and white with blue stripe wire.

mannyfreskko

I got an idea. If i splice the yellow wires that connect the stereo harness to the black wire running from the battery with the ring connector grounded the stereo should turn on

daperez13

Respected
Test the black wire (picture attached) with the black wire on the harness and let me know if it works with the ignition "on" or "off".

mannyfreskko

I did just a minute and got 12V. So i ended up splicing the two yellow wires between the harness and the radio with the black wire connected to the battery and it worked.

Attachments

daperez13

Respected
With the ignition in the "on" position and the stereo powered on, pull the fuse on the car (for the stereo) and make sure you loose power to it. You don't want to bypass the fuse and take a chance if you get a short. All of that wiring was not done correctly...I bet you can do a better job.

mannyfreskko

The tapping screw worked and my stereo is awesome. I believe the fuse was bypassed. On the yellow wire that goes from the battery and eventually turns into the black wire that got spliced, there is a 10A fuse(ill post a pic) so i dont think the fuse under the steering wheel has power going to it.

Attachments

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
It wasnt blown but i replaced it anyway cause I had an extra fuse laying around. The harness is intact. And those two blue wires not connected. They were cut. I have some more pics. I also tested those loose wires but there was no continuity. The one with the blue wire spliced to it has a blue wire running towards the trunk of my car and the one with the black wire spliced to it has a black wire running towards the battery i believe.
The blue wire would be an amplifier turn on lead and the black looks like it should be red. It's going to the positive terminal right? But then someone just extended it with yellow? I agree with @HeX, get all that extra crap out of there and get the original harness working first. Get power and ground there, make sure you get continuity to your stock speaker leads, then expand. The wiring in there now looks like crap. Use red for power and black for ground.