air con question

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i can't find the heater hose valve, can you tell me where it would be generally located?

RonJ

Banned
i can't find the heater hose valve, can you tell me where it would be generally located?
In the engine bay, you will see two coolant hoses that connect to the firewall to circulate coolant through the heater core. The hose where coolant enters the heater core has the valve associated with it. Use the first picture in the diagram as a reference. Just make sure that the valve is fully closed. You wouldn't want to recharge the A/C if the real problem is that the heater is always on.

RonJ

Banned
If the heater hose valve is fully closed when it is supposed to be, then you should try adding some refrigerant to the system. The fact that the refrigerant level is low would indicate at least a small slow leak, so if the A/C soon starts to blow warm again after adding refrigerant, then next time add refrigerant that contains some indicator dye that will allow you to pinpoint the leak. Also, never use any refrigerant containing a leak sealer.

Click here for a general guide for adding refrigerant to your system. Note that you probably will not need to add the entire can of refrigerant and overfilling the system would be bad because you would need to have the system drained, evacuated, and refilled. You would also need to replace the receiver/dryer. Therefore, multiple times during the refill procedure, close the low side valve (where refrigerant is being added) to make low and high side system readings. I would recommend that you stop adding refrigerant when the low side reads about 45 PSI, if the night outside temperature is the same as when you first measured refrigerant pressures of the system.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
valve is fully closed.

I ran the manifold gauge again and this time turned the knobs on the low and high side on the gauge. the blue jumped to to the 'retard' section, and the red was set at 130F.

RonJ

Banned
I ran the manifold gauge again and this time turned the knobs on the low and high side on the gauge. the blue jumped to to the 'retard' section, and the red was set at 130F.
You opened the valves when the gauge set was hooked up to the system??? Why??? Don't do this!

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the heater hose valve is fully closed when it is supposed to be, then you should try adding some refrigerant to the system. The fact that the refrigerant level is low would indicate at least a small slow leak, so if the A/C soon starts to blow warm again after adding refrigerant, then next time add refrigerant that contains some indicator dye that will allow you to pinpoint the leak. Also, never use any refrigerant containing a leak sealer.

Click here for a general guide for adding refrigerant to your system. Note that you probably will not need to add the entire can of refrigerant and overfilling the system would be bad because you would need to have the system drained, evacuated, and refilled. You would also need to replace the receiver/dryer. Therefore, multiple times during the refill procedure, close the low side valve (where refrigerant is being added) to make low and high side system readings. I would recommend that you stop adding refrigerant when the low side reads about 45 PSI, if the night outside temperature is the same as when you first measured refrigerant pressures of the system.
All of the refrigerant have leak sealer. Is there a brand you recommend?

And just to confirm regarding the manifold gauge usage
Turn the car off, make sure all valves/knobs are off on the manifold, connect low to blue, high to red. Connect yellow hose to the recharge refrigerant. lock down the piercing and hear the hose fill up with refrigerant. start the car, turn A/C on full, record high and low readings. Consult the chart and according to the temperature fill by opening the knob on the blue side of the manifold. always keep the refrigerant can upright. when pressure matching according to the chart, shut the valve on the low side. keep the car running, after a min test air and gauge reading. turn car off, disconnect manifold gauge.

RonJ

Banned
I am sorry. Have I done damage to the condenser?
The valves must remain closed. You released refrigerant from the A/C system into the atmosphere. You also may have allowed air into the system (=bad). Why did you do this? How long did you leave the valves opened?

RonJ

Banned
What are the current pressures on the high and low sides?

R134a is available without leak sealer. Avoid the sealer as it gunks up the system = cure is worse than the disease.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The valves must remain closed. You released refrigerant from the A/C system into the atmosphere. You also may have allowed air into the system (=bad). Why did you do this? How long did you leave the valves opened?
A couple of seconds, max maybe 5 seconds. I thought maybe I would get an accurate reading.

Do I need to vacuum the whole unit?

RonJ

Banned
A couple of seconds, max maybe 5 seconds. I thought maybe I would get an accurate reading.

Do I need to vacuum the whole unit?

The gauges only measure pressure in a closed system (=valves closed). Tonight, measure the low and high side pressures again. Comparisons with last night pressures may tell you whether or not the system must be drained and evacuated.

Did you read info at the link I posted in post #23?

I have seen basic R134a refrigerant (no sealant) sold even at Walmart.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What are the current pressures on the high and low sides?

R134a is available without leak sealer. Avoid the sealer as it gunks up the system = cure is worse than the disease.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The gauges only measure pressure in a closed system (=valves closed). Tonight, measure the low and high side pressures again. Comparisons with last night pressures may tell you whether or not the system must be drained and evacuated.

Did you read info at the link I posted in post #23?

I have seen basic R134a refrigerant (no sealant) sold even at Walmart.
I read the information on post #23, makes sense.
I just took measurements and posted it. It's currently 95 (10 degrees higher than the previous measurement). I will wait till later to remeasure and compare with the first measurements.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why did you think your previous readings were inaccurate? I am not sure what your idea was here. Please clarify.
It's my mistake, I didn't realize that the yellow hose is open to the atmosphere.

RonJ

Banned
95F. Is any cold air coming out of the vents? How does the vent air compare to before you opened the valves?

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The yellow valve must be fully closed as well. Was it open last night when you made any of the measurements you posted?
it was closed, has been closed at all times.

RonJ

Banned
cool air (just as before), not cold.
Redo the pressure measurements tonight when the temp is similar to last night's temp. If the readings are similar, then add refrigerant until the low side reads 45PSI. You will need to close the low side valve multiple times while adding refrigerant to ensure that you do not overfill the system. Review the post 23 instructions before starting the refill process. If you have any specific questions, post them.