air con question

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Redo the pressure measurements tonight when the temp is similar to last night's temp. If the readings are similar, then add refrigerant until the low side reads 45PSI. You will need to close the low side valve multiple times while adding refrigerant to ensure that you do not overfill the system. Review the post 23 instructions before starting the refill process. If you have any specific questions, post them.
Hey,

I did the pressure measurements again, the outside temp was 88F (3 degrees more than yesterday), and the the low side was about 4psi lower (36psi) and the high side was about 10psi lower (121psi).

When I went to autozone to by the refrigerant cans (12oz each), the guy at the counter said I should vacuum everything and refill fresh. I would appreciate your feedback.

RonJ

Banned
Hey,

I did the pressure measurements again, the outside temp was 88F (3 degrees more than yesterday), and the the low side was about 4psi lower (36psi) and the high side was about 10psi lower (121psi).

When I went to autozone to by the refrigerant cans (12oz each), the guy at the counter said I should vacuum everything and refill fresh. I would appreciate your feedback.
I don't see a need to evacuate the A/C system. I think you should now use the manifold gauge set to add refrigerant to the low side to bring it to 45 PSI at night when the temp is mid 80s or so. Be sure to carefully review all of the recharging information and link that I posted. Post any questions that come up.

When done, post the low and high side pressures and the outside temp and whether the A/C blows much colder.

Good luck.

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't see a need to evacuate the A/C system. I think you should now use the manifold gauge set to add refrigerant to the low side to bring it to 45 PSI at night when the temp is mid 80s or so. Be sure to carefully review all of the recharging information and link that I posted. Post any questions that come up.

When done, post the low and high side pressures and the outside temp and whether the A/C blows much colder.

Good luck.
outside temp: 82F
sorry for the dark images but images were useless with flash
low side:

high side:

RonJ

Banned
Did you add refrigerant to the system? Is the A/C blowing colder now?

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you add refrigerant to the system? Is the A/C blowing colder now?
Yes I added refrigerant. It's blowing colder air now. Not as cold as my wife's '07 but better than before.

RonJ

Banned
Yes I added refrigerant. It's blowing colder air now. Not as cold as my wife's '07 but better than before.
Nice. I think you could get the air a little colder by adding refrigerant to bring the low side to around 40 PSI at 82F. But if you are happy, leave as is.

How much refrigerant did add?

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice. I think you could get the air a little colder by adding refrigerant to bring the low side to around 40 PSI at 82F. But if you are happy, leave as is.

How much refrigerant did add?
Thanks for all of your help. I would like it a bit colder, will give it a few days to see if I can deal with it otherwise I will add more.

I added one can (12oz) but I don't think I used more than 1/2 of it. When the low side got to 45, I stopped adding.

RonJ

Banned
Thanks for all of your help. I would like it a bit colder, will give it a few days to see if I can deal with it otherwise I will add more.

I added one can (12oz) but I don't think I used more than 1/2 of it. When the low side got to 45, I stopped adding.
You did the right and safe thing. It's easy to add refrigerant but a pain and expensive to remove it. Still, if you are now at 35 PSI at 82F, I think the system can easily tolerate 3-5 more low-side PSI at 82F.

guynlidia2006

5+ Year Member
I love this fourm... this is all the info i was looking for... I love the search button, its like ronj was answering my questions...