amp cutting out

civic939

Drive Fast Or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 600W 2/1 channel sony explode amp and a 12" RF punch DVC sub in a sealed box. i am using 6 guage power and ground cables. my problem is that after about 30-45 minutes of normal listening
(not having a huge amount of bass) the amp cuts out for about 2-5 minutes then comes back on. i am guessing that it is overheating but i dont know why. could anyone help me with this problem? the last 3 amps i have had did the same thing. i have used different combinations of fuses and different size wires.
thanks,

mienboiracer209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
try your ground...make sure there is no paint on the chassis, sand off the paint if there is any...

aaren99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you have your amp bridged? doesnt seem like it would be a problem with only 1 sub. I had the same problem with my amp but i had it brigded with 2 subs i guess it couldnt push it and it would turn off, then turn on by itself. also make sure you have a good connection with your rca's

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aaren99 said:
Do you have your amp bridged? doesnt seem like it would be a problem with only 1 sub. I had the same problem with my amp but i had it brigded with 2 subs i guess it couldnt push it and it would turn off, then turn on by itself. also make sure you have a good connection with your rca's
My s**t does that all the time...so ghey....it'll thump for like 10 minutes hard and then it goes out for a few secs, back on, off, on , off....I need a more powerful amp...

bloodstaindpyro

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's because you have an Xplod amp and they suck.

I have one as well and it does the same s**t. Hence, teh name xplod. lol.

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its because you are running a dvc woofer on an amp thats not 2 ohm mono stable.
rewire the sub up to 8 ohms by taking the negative terminal of the first voice and running a wire to the positive terminal on the other voice coil. You will be left with 1 positive and 1 negative. wire the amp to those terminals and it wont shut off anymore

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
snoopy316 said:
rewire the sub up to 8 ohms by taking the negative terminal of the first voice and running a wire to the positive terminal on the other voice coil. You will be left with 1 positive and 1 negative. wire the amp to those terminals and it wont shut off anymore
Not to mention, for those whose amps are still over heating, how high do you have the gain set. The higher the setting, the quicker your amp will heat up. Mine kept overheating so I turned my gain down and now it doesn't do it.

EBPimpSi

CCCC member #76
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
where do you have your gains at? if its all the way to max you will need to turn it down some. i to agree about the grounds; make sure there is no paint where the ground meets the chasis.

Inliner

monster b18c1
5+ Year Member
snoopy316 said:
this is your reason.. your other amps did it as well.. has to be the sub...

+
-
+
-

go here for a more detailed description

http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/jun05/articles/nigelb/speakers.htm

bloodstaindpyro

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've had my gain at a little more than half way for a month or so now, and it doesn't over heat as much like you've said

civic939

Drive Fast Or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The sub is wired correctly, the ground is good, RCA is good, my gains or my deck settings are probly the problem.
thanks.
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|