Any tips for tinting tail lights?

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a 99 ex coupe and I wanted to tint the red part of the tail light with Rustoleuom lens tint spray. Do you guys have any tips? Maybe pros and cons if you guys have any.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Never heard of the rustoleum stuff, but thin light coats will do the trick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
I used vvt niteshade.

1) remove tails from the car

2) tape off what you don't want to tint

3) wash using a Brillo pad and medium pressure

4) hood the can 8-12" away spay the edges

5) using a solid motion spray from side to side (light coat)

6) wait 10 minutes repeat steps 4-5

7) if a 3rd is desired ( I wouldn't do more then 3 coats) repeat 4-5

8) wait 10 minutes follow the step 4-5 but use clear coat

9) wait 10 minutes do another coat of clear

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nightshades. Yep thats the stuff

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea I was gonna do like 2 or 3 thin coats and then 2 of clear, I was planning to leave them on the car for this and just mask around it.

emerican

Registered VIP
nightshades is what my friend used i believe. It came out very well, i havent heard of Rustoleuom lens tint so i cant say how well that will do.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I already have the rusto lens tint and rusto gloss enamel. So I'm just gonna do it with those 2 and see how it goes.

scarhead92

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i used night shade.and no clear coats. had it on three cars. from tail lights to side markers. i keep making the mistake of forgetting that it almost doubles the darkness when it finally cures. so go way lighter than you want. and remember its easier to go darker its not easier to lighten them

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:wstupid:

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i used night shade.and no clear coats. had it on three cars. from tail lights to side markers. i keep making the mistake of forgetting that it almost doubles the darkness when it finally cures. so go way lighter than you want. and remember its easier to go darker its not easier to lighten them
I was just thinking 2 coats nothing too dark I don't want to get pulled over for something as stupid as my tails being too dark.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Check out the last few pages in my build thread to get an idea of what they will look like

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Check out the last few pages in my build thread to get an idea of what they will look like
I wanna do the opposite of what you did with yours, because my car is green and Im not into tinting the red part.

greenEJ6

I tinted my entire tail lights the other day using nightshades with two coats of it and no clear (didn't have any) and it came out looking great

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I tinted my entire tail lights the other day using nightshades with two coats of it and no clear (didn't have any) and it came out looking great
I messed up and I had to use paint thinner so I'm not gonna do it again for awhile.

civicexkid

i bought some red lens tint the film off ebay and it was great well kinda.. i hated how it looke so i pulled it off to the beautiful oem look. id buy film if anyone was thinking of doing this instead of using paint.