Anyne have strange hobbies?

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not just modding cars but something out of the ordinary that you do in your spare time to keep you off the streets? Collect stamps? Coins? Rare beer cans?

My absurd hobby is one I can't really explain why but I have 12 traffic lights. I did some programming work for the city a while back and was able to get some contacts for traffic lights that have been taken down. Most are quite old being put up in the 60's and 70's. I have built my own controller to make them function and yes are quite heavy. Feel free to laugh as I do as well.

I also build CarPC's and custom install them, it mixes my PC hobby with the car side and beats any headunit.

Lastly I am building a near space balloon that will take 2 GoPro HD3 cameras to roughly 100,000 feet and record Hi-def video. Its something that I have wanted to try so with a little luck I wont lose it as it will be almost a grand of equipment down the drain

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've recently begun collecting artwork from around the world. I go to a new country, every year, and I thought it'd be cool if I could start collecting things that were handmade / painted from different countries. Unfortunately, I just thought of this idea recently, so I missed out on a lot of opportunities. So far I have:

-a painting from Taiwan
-a handmade teapot and teacups from Taiwan
-a piece of artwork made by cutting, and fitting different colored woods together, from a mountain village in Japan (I can't remember the exact name of the art style)

When I have money / room, I'd like to start another collection. I have a serious interest in battle-used weaponry. I'm primarily interested in swords, and other melee weaponry, but I think it'd also be cool to have some older handguns / civil war era guns. So I'd like to start this collection some day, too.

I'm a REALLY big fan of tv shows like American Pickers and Pawn Stars. I really get into the types of things they buy.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Collecting.

I used to collect comic books. I got to about 1,500 and scaled back. I have around 800 now in a huge horizontal file cabinet in the home office. 90% Marvel. Tons of Wolverine stuff.

I collect mini lightsabers. They were made by a company called Master Replicas whom went out of business some years back. They are .45 scale to the real size used in the Star Wars films. Made of real metal and are very detailed. I have one of each that they made with the exception of the gold and platinum variants. Would say that I have around 30.

I collect other star wars stuff (mostly mini busts) as well but scaled back and sold off a bunch when I was unemployed 2 years ago.

Recently I built a home theater pc and it turned into a small hobby. I then built one for my buddy and am now building one for my parents.

I am a huge movie buff as well and have over 1200 dvds and blu-ray. I also have about 30 tv seasons on dvd as well. One of the main reasons I built the home theater pc was to put them all onto hard drives and run them through the computer using xbmc. I have a 3tb drive that is about 3/4 full so far and am about 90% done ripping. When I am done ripping I am going to get rid of probably 3/4 of the hard copies to get some room back in my house. Not that it is cluttered, but I have an 8 foot tall pantry that I modified with roll outs that hold about 50 per drawer. There is 6 drawers in that plus 4 book cases that hold about 150 each. Then I have about 300 that don't have the cases anymore and are in cd/dvd storage binders.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I raced RC Cars professionally for my last job. Now it's more of a lost hobby while I finish school.
So did I!! I raced for Team Losi way back in '97. The tech was quite a bit different back then and at that time you had to be a minor electrician to do it. You had to wire everything and had to build the batteries by scratch soldering each cell together. Haven't touched it since probably '05 and all my stuff was stolen last year when my house was burglarized.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Besides the car thing; I rode/trained/showed horses for 11 years and I plan on going back. Also I snowboard, do photography, make mix CDs and knit.

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So did I!! I raced for Team Losi way back in '97. The tech was quite a bit different back then and at that time you had to be a minor electrician to do it. You had to wire everything and had to build the batteries by scratch soldering each cell together. Haven't touched it since probably '05 and all my stuff was stolen last year when my house was burglarized.
Thats awesome, I worked/ran for/and managed Team Schumacher in the US, while the US office was still open.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I'm a REALLY big fan of tv shows like American Pickers and Pawn Stars. I really get into the types of things they buy.
I think you're my long lost brother! Though I wouldn't actually buy any of those things (my son would destroy anything of value kept inside the house) I find it super interesting and also love the snot out of both those shows! I also like Counting cars and American restoration. Great line up.

Collecting.

Recently I built a home theater pc and it turned into a small hobby. I then built one for my buddy and am now building one for my parents.
I'd be interested to know exactly what you do to make these. These cold winters make movie watching a must!

As for me, i've been into making video shorts and have messed around with doing a few short scenes using actors as well, but mostly stick to cars. I became a Youtube partner back when it was super difficult to be one and you actually made some good money. Did well enough I bought myself a Canon XH-A1, Mac desktop, and Final Cut pro and ALMOST quit my day job to pursue this full time. One of my most memorable experiences was shooting a bad flood near my house and caught the Army using explosives to blow up the ice jams. Over night that video had over a million hits (I did some pretty awesome editing from all sorts of angles and even managed to get some shots from a plane I helped build) and a company in Europe paid me for the rights to own the video. This was all in the lower 48... I don't get much time to shoot anymore, but still love it.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Some of you already know my other hobbies. I work with android. I build roms/kernels n themes for my devices. I love the customization with android and I share my projects with the public. I've worked with some of the greatest developers out there including devs from team kang and cyangenmod.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I collect Lionel Trains. It's a hobby I picked up from my dad and his father. Someday I hope to inherit his collection and finish off his layout. It's worth somewhere around $500k if I ever had to sell.

My newest hobby is couponing. I started it January of this year and I've managed to create a small stock pile to last us a year. I'm realistic enough to know not everything I get is going to be free, but I refuse to pay full price on anything.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
I collect Lionel Trains. It's a hobby I picked up from my dad and his father. Someday I hope to inherit his collection and finish off his layout. It's worth somewhere around $500k if I ever had to sell.

My newest hobby is couponing. I started it January of this year and I've managed to create a small stock pile to last us a year. I'm realistic enough to know not everything I get is going to be free, but I refuse to pay full price on anything.
Couponing is something my ol lady wants to do. She just don't know where to start

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Couponing is something my ol lady wants to do. She just don't know where to start

Honestly it's simple and I'm pretty smrt with math. LOL! I started off getting the Sunday newspaper just for the coupons. Then I found a few legit sites to print coupons from. I sign up for each store's special savings card or CC or Debit cards that I frequent. I look at all the regular prices at each store or the products that I use the most or want to try and whenever I get their ad's in the mail I compare sales prices. Eventually you start to learn the seasonal and promotional patterns of each product and know when to expect them to go to their lowest sale price or clearance. Pile on the coupons and notice the savings. I don't shop at places such as Walmart, Costco, Sam's, Meijer, or BJ's. Most of the bigger bulk products stores don't allow coupons and don't offer much of a savings discount.

Of course I'm leaving a lot of details out, but this is the jist of it.

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used to scout good or fun roads to drive on, now I'm too busy for it because of school.

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i build model cars, 1/24 and 1/25 scale, and collect and customize 1/64 ertl and dcp toys. used to draw a lot of blueprints for housses/ shops when i was in highschool. have a 2 inch binder full of drawings from freshman to junior year in highschool. got older and got more realistic and lost motivation senior year, still do an occassional shop when i get the motivation. and used to collect shot glasses. then graduated and dont really travel much any more. too busy with work.