Anyone use "LinkedIN" and have any career success with it?

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I've had an account for a while but have never used it. I just recently started updating it knowing that i'll be sending out my resume in the coming months and see it's looking a lot like facebook. I currently only have 3 contacts (2 of which are family) but i'm curious if anyone here has actually had any career success using it? I should ask my HR department because I believe they have an account used for recruiting mechanics..

Anyway.. I don't really see it being anything worth investing a lot of time in, but would like to hear some other opinions of it.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have an account and check it a few times a week. Its good for looking for jobs or if you have a lot of experience or specialized experience recruiters will find out. I will get messages every once in a while from people that want to interview me for different things.

I have never really acted on those messages as I enjoy my job and current employer.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
After doing some research, people are saying the same thing you are. It seems like a good thing to use for people in a "career" and not so much for people with a "job". I suppose I'll keep up with it for a while and see what happens. I'm in a rare enough position that recruiters have been reaching out to me by email/phone for years but I only rarely ever act on it depending on where the job is located. It was a no brainer to take my current position in Alaska but I see it really only being useful to my resume for a while longer unless I decide to take advantage of them paying for my schooling. Although now that I think about it, everywhere i've worked has had a program in place that covered college if it helped advance your current position.

I LOOOOOOVE my job and the pay is well into 6 figures but central Alaska is no cup of tea. Lots of guys here like it, but I prefer heat to cold any day of the week.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
LinkedIN is really just for networking. Its becoming more common for employers to look at but it will not get you a job. Make sure you have a good resume and can interview well and thats what gets you the job. Oh and employers look at FB too, which is more influential than LI.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
LinkedIN is good to be on, at the very least your endorsements show that whoever gave them to you thinks enough of you to take the time to say this guy CAN do this.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's useful for making connections and putting yourself out there in front of recruiters. I've never landed a job using it, but it's another source for opportunities.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i do not like it... i think its a way to shop employers/employees, creates no loyalty and an environment of temporary jobs. if you are always being courted by these offers, you will not focus on your current job. just know most of what happens on there is not the company you want to work for.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
LinkedIn is a tool that can work to your benefit, if used properly. It is another way to showcase your abilities. Resumes are restrictive, only letting you put 1-2 pages worth of information. You can put whatever you want on your LinkedIn. Many employers do search for a LinkedIn Account before hiring. The nonexistence of an account probably won't hurt you, but it won't help you either. If there's something you want employers to know, but can't fit on your resume, use your LinkedIn.

It's also a good way to keep track of business acquaintances you met once or twice, but will likely forget in a year, if no future contact is made. You never know when you might need them for something. LinkedIn can increase your chances of having them remember you.