Aux cig lighter installation location ideas?

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does anyone have a picture install of anything like this for our 7th gen civic to where we can add a auxilary cig lighter behind the dash for clean extra installs??
Just wanting to find and extra power to tape into like this thread.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604616

I am wanting to leave the stock cig lighter there to keep it clean, and behind the dash install the new 2nd auxilary cig lighter to plug in my radar detector and ipod power.

Could I t-tap all this off the current cig lighter for new aux lighter, and voltmeter without worring about blowing fuses??

jlk16188

5+ Year Member
Does anyone have a picture install of anything like this for our 7th gen civic to where we can add a auxilary cig lighter behind the dash for clean extra installs??
Just wanting to find and extra power to tape into like this thread.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604616

I am wanting to leave the stock cig lighter there to keep it clean, and behind the dash install the new 2nd auxilary cig lighter to plug in my radar detector and ipod power.

Could I t-tap all this off the current cig lighter for new aux lighter, and voltmeter without worring about blowing fuses??
Hard wire what you want to install, dont start putting cigarette lighters everywhere that will be wayyyy to ghetto. If you put in Cig lighters everywhere you will most likely be blowing fuses unless you run power straight from the battery with a dedicated fuse, but then power will always be on unless you install a switch. IMO do it right... dont N***** rig it, you will be much happier in the end

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm not rigging it man. I'm leaving it nice and clean.
I tried tonight to use the fuse spot for the day-light running lights for canadian models since it was the only one, but still no power to the add-a-circuit. Does the canadian fuse spot not carry any power for the us models??

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As I said I used a add-a-circuit in place of the day light running light fuse, but nothing still worked with it grounded. What gives??
Since I have a US models is this fuse actually usable for this??

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Okay I'll keep talking to myself, here is everything laid out:

Casco Power Outlet

Add-A-Circuit

So it's the power wire to the add-a-circuit with 10amp fuse to the Day Running Light Fuse Cocket since I am in US and have no need for the fuse socket.
And ground to the peice right next to the gas pedal behind the plastic where the metal brace is.
My meter shows it's a good ground, but what about power should I disreguard the add-a-circuit and go straight to the battery, or will this drain battery.
This is not a rig job only to keep the wires behind the dash and keep the front clean and factory.

ANYTHING would be very helpful, I'm sick of looking under the damn dash for power, and I heard that the t-taps

are bad since they leave bare wire exposed.

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
dude. Take some 14 gauge power wire. (stranded) connect it to the battery. also get a fuse holder and an appropriate fuse from wal mart to protect you from frying your interrior. run the wire through the quarterpanel to the rubber gromet on the passenger side of the car door jam. from there run the wire through the gromet into the passenger floor board. once in there run the wire under the dash to the driver side floorboard. then to keep it all clean, take down the ac fan cover under the passenger dash and hide the wires behind that. get a switch from wal mart or pep boys or autozone and mount it where you can access it easily. you can mount your power outlets in the center console if you have it. or you can mount them under the drivers seat to maintain the clean look you want. wire up the switch to the power outlets and use one of the seat mounting bracket bolts to ground off on. mount your power outlet. plug it all in and you're good to go. if nobody else will walk you through it i will.

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks bro, so why can't I just get power from the fuse box with that add-a-circuit??

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
Thanks bro, so why can't I just get power from the fuse box with that add-a-circuit??
well.. you can. but dont use the add a circuit. just run a power wire from the 2 wires that come out of the fuse box. they are white. and they are always hot because they are connected directly to the battery. run the wire off one of those from the screw attachments and then to a fuse. then contunue on as i said in my last post. that would work better.. way way better than that cheap chinese add a circuit s**t. to hook it up to the fuse box power wires i would use some 12 gauge solid house wire. thats what i used. the reason for this is because this wire is not protected by the fuse. even when the fuse blows it still has power going to it. the solid wire takes the heat alot better than the stranded. hopw i helped. PM me on how it goes and if you have anymore questions. :-)

OVNi_CIVIC

Revise
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well.. you can. but dont use the add a circuit. just run a power wire from the 2 wires that come out of the fuse box. they are white. and they are always hot because they are connected directly to the battery. run the wire off one of those from the screw attachments and then to a fuse. then contunue on as i said in my last post. that would work better.. way way better than that cheap chinese add a circuit s**t. to hook it up to the fuse box power wires i would use some 12 gauge solid house wire. thats what i used. the reason for this is because this wire is not protected by the fuse. even when the fuse blows it still has power going to it. the solid wire takes the heat alot better than the stranded. hopw i helped. PM me on how it goes and if you have anymore questions. :-)

:thumbs up

well said

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tell me again why don't you just splice off from behind the pre-existing cig lighter leads and solder? Do you want it to switch off with the vehicle? If so just branch off the switched power from your headunit or straight from the ignition harness.

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Off and on when vehicle is on, it needs to be on, off when off.
But IDK if it's a good idea wo spice into that from behind, it's already a short cable with that cig connector on it already.

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Off and on when vehicle is on, it needs to be on, off when off.
But IDK if it's a good idea wo spice into that from behind, it's already a short cable with that cig connector on it already.
That's how we hardwire XM and Sirius radios, but when I say splice I don't mean cut it in half (I assume that's what you mean since length is your concern). Strip back some of the insulation on the leads and then solder then on. Follow up with some electrical tape and you're good to go. Come off any accessory power is achieve your desired effect. If you don't want to meter anything you can use the red wire coming off an aftermarket deck as the switched power.

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Should I need to protect this somehow with a fuse for safety?

So I could just use those t-taps on th cig ground/power for the ground/power of the 2nd cig lighter, is this right?

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The cigarette plug for the items you will be powering should have fuses in the tips. I suppose it wouldn't hurt, but if you are splicing off the original one shouldn't that already be protected?

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah it should, but I thought I would ask.
So t-tap the new aux output to the y for ipod and radar into the existing cig lighter and I'll be set, right?

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
http://www.avcboostwerx.com/honda/fuse_box.jpg

Look at this picture. At the bottom of the fuse box there are silver looking plates that have screws in them. pretend the fuse box is a square analog watch. the plates and the screws are at the 6 o'clock position. these are always hot. vehicle on or off. thats why you need a switch. use one of these to supply power to everyhting with the additional cig lighter. use the 12 gauge house wire to a fuse and then 14 gauge stranded to the switch. 14 gauge stranded from the switch to the lighter and 14 gauge to ground off at the seat. granted the add a circuit ( more like sad a circuit) would be easier. but with the setup i'm giving you, you dont have to worry abouy frying your car. and i wouldnt splice off the existing cig lighter simply because that wire is 16 or 18 gauge stranded. much less durable and tolerant to heat. make your own complete circuit if you want a lifetime gaurantee. depending on what you are putting in the additional cig lighter i would put a 10amp fuse in the fuse holder that i hope you get from wal mart and that should be just right. i hope this helps.

Gasket

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
Yeah it should, but I thought I would ask.
So t-tap the new aux output to the y for ipod and radar into the existing cig lighter and I'll be set, right?
you can do that or you can go to autozone and get a dual or even triple outlet cig lighter for like 20 bux

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I fixed it, day lights do not have direct power to the fuse itself, so I used the add-a-circuit to the cig lighter fuse one 5 and one 10 amp fuse and that solved everything. That is what was throwing me off so much.
Also the dual and triple outlets is not what I was trying to accomplish, that still would have left me with the same mess of oem cig and back trough the dash. Then I go from behind the dash to a y then to ipod and radar. There were too many options and I wanted to make it the cleanest, so that's why I did it the way I did. P.S. hardwire was not the answer, that would have just made another step of switch a toggle every time I got out of the car... not necessary in my opinion. Now when ignition is on ipod and radar are also, and so on when ignition is off
Thanks all for your help and great advise!