B16 loses power when going up hills?

6thGenFtw

5+ Year Member
When i accelerate up big hills my check engine starts flashing and it starts to lose power but when i get on top were its flat everything goes back to normal...

gugiey

Registered VIP
When i accelerate up big hills my check engine starts flashing and it starts to lose power but when i get on top were its flat everything goes back to normal...
I would tAke it to a shop right away to pull that stored code .

when a check engine light stays on it's alright .

but when it flashes while driving this means there is a serious problem .and you shouldn't keep driving it .

tekfoc

5+ Year Member
Check spark plugs also have your fuel injectors checked along with your fuel pressure.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
clogged cat will cause similar issue.

RonJ

Banned
You need to give details about your set up - car, engine, mods.

Flashing CEL indicates random misfires severe enough to damage the catalytic converter ($$$$). Stop driving the car until the problem is fixed.

Start by pulling the CEL codes and posting them.

The most common cause of random misfires is an ignition system component(s) (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) that has not been maintained.

6thGenFtw

5+ Year Member
alright i will be get the codes tomorrow the check engine is actually on but it still flashes when i go up hills and its a 2000 si
The check engine light came on last Sunday and the guy at autozone told me it was the spark plugs which made sense because i havnt replaced the spark plugs since i got it almost a year ago.. so i replaced those and decided to a little tune up while i was at it and replaced the fuel filter, disburotr rotor, disbutor cap, put some fuel injector fluid in there and i ordered some spark plug wires too that are getting here tomorrow... After i did that the check engine light went off but yesterday when i went to work it started flashing when going up hills and last night it just stayed on after it flashed going up a hill on my way home. I have a magnaflow high flow cat too... But i have to drive it about 20 miles tomorrow to school then auto store then home which kinda scares me cause i don't want to break anything. Thanks for the replies ill get those codes tomorrow for sure

EDIT: i forgot to mention its also idling really low and feels like its barely on.. Its idling at 500-700 rpms and usually it idles at 1000-1100 rpms :???:

6thGenFtw

5+ Year Member
Went to the auto store and the machine said its having "multiple miss fires"... the guy that did it said it could be the head gasket or the piston rings... I'm praying its not the piston rings but i bought a compression test and im going to go test it right now

xXDeathMaliCeXx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got a 2000 si as well and it will usually idle around 500-700 after a while of driving around. I think that's just normal? Idk cause I need to replace my headgasket and piston rings anyway haha.

Good luck with figuring out what the problem is man, you can get an OEM engine rebuild kit for relatively cheap

6thGenFtw

5+ Year Member
i did the compression test but the air is leaking out of the hose where the gauge connects to it.. I heard it click when i attached the gauge to the hose so i know that its in all the way. I don't know if its a bad kit or what.. but im going to take it back tomorrow and see what they say but anyways the test results were:
Dry Test- 90 90 65 75 those are really low scores right..? But since there seems to be a leak in the kit i would assume these scores aren't accurate but im a pretty big noob when it comes to engine work so i really don't know... any help is appreciated thanks

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah take it back and try a different one my cousin had issues with some stuff he rented at Autozone also. Make sure you have wide open throttle when you crank it. Get a vacuum gauge while you're at it and check your vacuum. If the exhaust is plugged you can tell right away using the vacuum gauge.

Trekk

Registered VIP
The test should be done with the motor up to temp, and tb fully opened to get the highest results, if you didn't do that.