B16a vtech problem

gboi25

Hey I'm new here and building my first civic its a 95 coupe dx model. With a B16a
My vtech stopped cracking is there anything I can check to get it going again any help would be appreciated

Culberson

condoms prevent minivans
do you have a check engine light on? that can put it in limp mode so vtec wont work

gboi25

Yes it comes on and off sometimes. I'm gonna take it to get the code pulled today. It was crackin before tho with the check engine light on.

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
make sure you have enough VTECH fluid that could be the problem

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
t(-.-t)

Vtec can not work for a number of reasons. I've even heard of a Buddy of mines vtec not working because he had metal shavings clogging his vtec solenoid gasket so the solenoid didn't get enough oil pressure.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EG2 LX

VTEC fluid? hahahh no such thing considering VTEC is controlled by oil, and oil pressure. Nice try though haha i hope you were kidding when you said that lol

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
He was making fun... he called it VTECH ... so he was only joking about VTECH fluid!

emerican

Registered VIP
thats enough guys
if your not gonna help then you dont need to post anything
op its called vtec and you need to get the CEL pulled and see what it is then get back to me.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Old joke is old noob

anyway

there are 3 things vtec looks for before it engages: oil pressure, temperature and engagement rpm (aka throttle position)

if any of these things are off then it will not engage, for simplicity check the solenoid plug connection itself, make sure it's tight and clipped.

Some common issues that make vtec not engage:

Temp sensor is bad
Debris in the solenoid filter (careful if you remove it, they never seal right again and you may need to apply some RVT on the seal when re-installing)
Tach is bad or going bad
Solenoid itself is bad (rare)
ECU is burning out (typically preceded with fuel management issues)

hope this helps