Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5w30

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

bkjj77

Registered VIP
i am going to be doing an oil change and i dont know what oil to buy
i know i can just go into autozone and ask and they will give me the right oil
but does anyone else use oil that isnt reccomended for your car which actually works better.
also should i get regular, synthetic, or fully synthetic
thanks

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's really all personal preference. Most honda's call for 5w-30. Some people run a thicker viscosity oil, such as 10w-40 to leak less oil, or for other reasons. I personally use partial synthetic blend Castrol 5w-30. There are good things to be said about most oil companies.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ This.

I personally run 5w30 full synthetic because that's the best weight for my car. It's colder up here (not cold enough to really make a difference but it's colder) so the oil can warm up faster and full synthetic so I don't feel bad going 7-8k on an oil change :what:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
full synthetic so I don't feel bad going 7-8k on an oil change :what:
^ This also. Synthetic needs to be changed less than conventional oil.

Conventional = 3-5k
Synthetic = 7-8k

bkjj77

Registered VIP
yah i know that why i want it
last time i change my oil the guy at auto zone
gave me 10w30

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5w-30 and just get the regular stuff. you dont need synthetics and you should still change your oil at the regular intervals

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why not synthetic isnt it better
It's not that it's better, just the materials that they use to make it don't break down as easily like conventional motor oil does.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
better, eh that depends on the situation. but you dont need it, isnt recommended by honda, and in the end you are just wasting money. if you were running a turbo set up, then thats another story. if you keep on top of your oil change intervals, you will be just fine.

khmernese

depending on climate, its 5w30 in cold/winter and 10w30 for summer, of course its not necessary but you can just use 5w30 all year round for hondas. if your leaking oil slightly go a bit thicker.

Or if you constantly beat on your car, might as well go synthetic so it does not break down as quick.

Also from what i was told switching from convention to synthetic too often could wear out seals or something and causes leak. correct me if im wrong.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
doesn't matter how long the oil lasts. you can have oil in your car that lasts a lifetime but if your oil filter only lasts up to 3-500 miles you might as well change your oil while you have it off anyway

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
doesn't matter how long the oil lasts. you can have oil in your car that lasts a lifetime but if your oil filter only lasts up to 3-500 miles you might as well change your oil while you have it off anyway
true story, they tend to not mention that part.

khmernese

oil breaks down and becomes sludgy. then it leads to clogging. of course the oil is only as good as its filter, that is why it is common to change them at the same time.

the question was about oil quality and grade, not about when to change oil.

bkjj77

Registered VIP
ok ill either get 5w30 or 10w30 mobil nonsythetic
summers coming so would 10w30 be better

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I use what comes out of the gun at work (5w30 full synthetic). If it is good enough for $100k+ Porsches, it's just fine for my little ol' Civic.