B20 VTEC or F20B Swap

Tawine

I need your advice on this, can't decide which one to choose. The B20 VTEC would cost more to do, buy the parts from tiger japanese. The F20B engine is $300 less & produces more horsepower, already has VTEC too. Not sure what tranny would be best for the F20B though. The B20B I would've used a B18B manuel transmission.

Which one would you guys prefer from these choices.

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
Your F20 wil be easier because you wont have to swap heads for vtec.. F20b's are also more rare than b20vtecs.. Especially with it being 300$ less, I'd go F20. For trannys, I think you can use a standard f22 tranny out of an accord.. I'd do some research on it though to make sure.

Tawine

Your F20 wil be easier because you wont have to swap heads for vtec.. F20b's are also more rare than b20vtecs.. Especially with it being 300$ less, I'd go F20. For trannys, I think you can use a standard f22 tranny out of an accord.. I'd do some research on it though to make sure.
I was thinking that a f22 tranny, but I just want to know if there are other options to choice from.

you realize an F swap is no where near as easy/cheap as a b series swap right?
On tiger japanese the engine is cheaper, the F22B LSD tranny is 1k+. So is the H22 tranny, but I saw the H22 w/o LSD for only $695. Will the H22 work with it though?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was thinking that a f22 tranny, but I just want to know if there are other options to choice from.

On tiger japanese the engine is cheaper, the F22B LSD tranny is 1k+. So is the H22 tranny, but I saw the H22 w/o LSD for only $695. Will the H22 work with it though?
F Series transmissions will bolt to an H block (and vice-verca), BUT, the swap itself into an EG/EK chassis is a LOT more work than a B swap. A B will drop right in. An H/F swap requires to widen the frame rails a little to make room for the motor (UNLESS you use a D2H or B2H swap and use the B/D Transmisison). The kits run upwards of $1000 though. You also have to make modifications for the shifter box and cables since H/F transmissions use cables instead of rod-linkages like the B and D's use.

Overall, you're better off with a B20 Vtec swap. If done right, is reliable and can net just as much power as an H or F motor.

gunqlay

I LIT THE BONFIRE AGAIN!
F20B is a bit harder to swap, but it does have it's perks, including iron sleeves. So if you're looking to boost it, you should be clear for *moderate* daily thrashing within reason. If you're looking for an LS-V, I suggest a B20, get a P72/P30 head, spend like $150 for a VTEC conversion kit, head studs, MHG, and you should be money. You don't see many F20's, it's a really underrated motor, but being different isn't cheap.
I am doing a B20-VTEC-T in an EF this fall once I move, I suggest to K.I.S.S. ;)

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Older thread, but B series is a better way to go IMO unless you go H2b.

Jermee

Registered VIP
Swap a f22 or 23 in there dude. I used h series mounts pulled the motor from a junkyard as well as a 93 f series trans. Slapped together a eBay turbo kit about $1000 and its a 230whp 230tq. Just get arp head studs and you'll be good.

Sent from your moms house.

Tegyb20b

I don't know why any of you are talking about turbo's. He wants cheaper. B20 vtec will be less cost than a f/h swap. Your just looking at the cost of the F motor. With the F swap your going to need ECU, wire harness, mounts, then figure how to get your gauge cluster to work. customizing sift linkage, header est. The cheapest way to do b20 vtec. Would be getting arp rod bolts, arp (GSR) head studs, (GSR) timing belt water pump. Of course a new head gasket an Gsr ecu. Or modded ecu. An if feel like a baller get some rod bearings as we'll. Stock b20 don't like high revs. An the rods an rod bolts are a big weak point. As long as you don't red light race all around town. She should hold up. But you get what you pay for. If you feel like doing it rite an want it to last for years to come. Just take your time an revamp the engine. The problem is not witch way to go swap or b20 vtec. But witch one are you more capable of doing an if you have the proper tools to do the job.

-GSR ECU an harness. Preferably a tunable ECU.
-LS/B20 (same) ARP rod bolts
-GSR/ITR (same) ARP head studs (NON-B17)
-New B20 (for 84mm) head gasket (MLS) or aftermarket for your non-OEM bore
-New ACL bearings - LS/B20 (-New Hastings piston rings (or OEM
-New OEM D/Bseries (same) valve seals
-New OEM Dohc Vtec Bseries (B16/GSR/ITR) 22T water pump
-New OEM P72 GSR/ITR timing belt (not B17)
-New OEM P72 oil pump (96+ GSR/LS/B20/ITR/B16 - all the same)
-Magnetic oil drain plug (important for break in)
-New NGK V-power BKR6E spark plugs (stock LS pistons) OR NGK V-power BKR7E spark plugs for 10.0-12.0:1 compression, or NGK V-power R5671A-8 plugs for 12.0:1+ compression
-Adjustable Fuel Pressure regulator
-In addition, you should replace all remaining gaskets and filters

Note- "same" means that the listed parts use the same part #'s from HONDA/ACURA.

Additionally:
-Shotpeen LS/b20rods
-Hone big end of rods when using ARP rod bolts (if necessary)
-Hone cylinders (if necessary)
-Balance the entire rotating assembly

Do the above, and your motor will reward you with reliability.

Other things to consider for making power:
-A complete 2.5 inch exhaust (header, cat, exhaust piping, and muffler)
-Hondata/Passwordjdm intake manifold gasket
-Adjustable cam gears (even for stock cams, because lsvtec timing will ALWAYS be slightly off)
-OEM P30(SIR2 B16)/P73(ITR) pistons or forged 11.5:1+ pistons (forged aftermarket pistons can be run on stock rods)
-Higher lift/longer duration cams
-Stiffer valve springs
-Better intake manifold (ITR, AEBS, Skunk2, JG, Ported ITR, custom, etc.)
-Reputable Port/Polish work on the head
-Better header (SMSP, RMF, Hytech, DTR/SSR, Hytech, ANR, Rage, custom, etc.)
-310cc injectors (at a minimum)
-Sleeved to 84+mm
-extensive tuning

slowe69

sigh ...f20b comes from factory ready to rev to 9k rpm all day safely the moter is a race engine made for mugen to compeate in the 2.0 and under class the swap is just like a h22 swap cept to get a lighter engine

the diffrence with the f20b and the h22 is like the diffrence with the b16 and b18c

only one moter better for a swap would be the b17