b20 wont crank Please HELP!

wright4975

I have a b20 in my ef and the car wont crank over. It wont even attempt to turn. The car ran a couple of weeks ago, but when I gave it gas, the car shut off and wont start up again.

I need some help please.

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
More info needed to help. Does it get fuel? What does it sound like when you crank it..

sent from my EVO eater

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
So many possibilities. Need WAY more info.

wright4975

Sorry,

for not putting enough info. The fuel pump does prime and the funny thing is that it started a few days ago, but it cut out once I gave it gas. Now, it wont start back up again.

Just changed the dizzy since it threw code 4 and 8. Now, it's just code 4 and I still need to weld the headers to the pipe since it was cut for the swap.

wright4975

The codes were 1, 4 and 8, but I changed the dizzy and code 4/8 went away. I just have code 1 now.

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
is the car running on the rich side. may be the o2 sensor. you could hook up a wide band all the time and delete the o2. Thats if all else fails but i would try simple things first. has it been street tuned?

sent from my EVO eater

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
are you running OBD1 or OBD0?

Code 1 on OBD0 is bad o2 sensor, which on its own shouldnt stop the car from firing up. Since you said it was running crappy before but did fire, pull your plugs and see if they are fouled out. Check if it is getting fuel and spark. Last I would change the o2 sensor, this way you have eliminated any other issues before spending any money.

Where did you get this engine? What is the rest of your setup? Has any prevenative maintenance been performed?

wright4975

My car is an ef, that has had the mpfi conversion and its running obd1 now. The b20 is legit JDM motor I purchased, so the motor is in great condition. I friend helped me with the swap and he works on hondas a lot.

I may just have to change the o2 sensor and take the car to a shop to get tuned. I don't know what happened.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
does your ecu have the correct basemap? If it is a stock b20 you dont need to go to a shop, just get the correct map from phearable. I had the EXACT same setup in my 91 Si.

Also dont assume because it is JDM that it is in "great" condition. Always check it over before you stuff it in your engine bay. Even from known importers I still recommend a double check and a tune up.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Ok so to recap, it doesn't CRANK, correct? But it did crank a few days ago? The only 2 causes of a no CRANK is battery/starting system. The possible causes of a no START are much greater.

If the pump is priming and all cluster lights/guages come on in key on engine off I would assume your battery is good. When it cranked over a few days ago, was it a normal speed cranking or did it seem slow?

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Ok so to recap, it doesn't CRANK, correct? But it did crank a few days ago? The only 2 causes of a no CRANK is battery/starting system. The possible causes of a no START are much greater.

If the pump is priming and all cluster lights/guages come on in key on engine off I would assume your battery is good. When it cranked over a few days ago, was it a normal speed cranking or did it seem slow?
It died last time he started it when he pressed on gas. I don't think the battery/starting system is the problem. I believe he has fouled plugs or his plug wires may have come loose. I would check it all there first since you said it was running rich.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Yeah but if it isnt cranking at all then he has a battery/starter problem.

OP check all your connections to your battery as well, I've ran into this issue a couple time on one of my SRTs.

wright4975

Man, I really appreciate all the love on this issue. I want to ask all the questions I can with this post. The ecu is chipped with a b20 map.

The motor was checked out and it was good. To answer SI boy, the motor did crank a few days ago and and it was idling sluggish. I gave it gas and it cut off and it wouldn't crank again.

The dash lights do cut on when I try to start it. I checked the plugs and they seemed fine, but II'll check again. I have no idea how to check for flooded plugs and the only code I'm throwing is 1.

It may be the battery, because it seems like its dying from setting. I will have to get it checked .

wright4975

I know that my negative battery connector is super loose and its time to change the plugs. So, I need to check the plugs and battery connection to see if there is something going on there?