Bad news :(

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
Hi guys, I have bad news....(2000 honda civic si)

I was driving home from school when all of a sudden my check engine light keeps FLASHING, and my engine started making weird noises, my car was low idling and then it died. First thing I checked was my spark plugs, as I check them, I find oil in all of them. I had to tow my car, $200.00 35 mile trip :(

Please help me with your knowledge clubcivic, today was a sad and long day for me.....plz....

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
blown headgasket? im guessing
Where did you get blown headgasket from "check engine light keeps FLASHING, and my engine started making weird noises, my car was low idling and then it died" ?

If the CEL is still illuminated pull the code and see what code it's throwing. That would be the best place to start.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi guys, I have bad news....(2000 honda civic si)

I was driving home from school when all of a sudden my check engine light keeps FLASHING, and my engine started making weird noises, my car was low idling and then it died. First thing I checked was my spark plugs, as I check them, I find oil in all of them. I had to tow my car, $200.00 35 mile trip :(

Please help me with your knowledge clubcivic, today was a sad and long day for me.....plz....
oh yea, been there done that. mine was more like 175$ 15 mile trip.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where did you get blown headgasket from "check engine light keeps FLASHING, and my engine started making weird noises, my car was low idling and then it died" ?

If they CEL is still illuminated pull the code and see what code it's throwing. That would be the best place to start.
there you go, this guy's on the trolly.

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
blown headgasket? im guessing
No, I'm pretty sure it's not the head gasket.

If the CEL is still illuminated pull the code and see what code it's throwing. That would be the best place to start.
Okay, will try that.

Thanks guys, more inputs would help =)

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does the engine burn oil?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Drain your oil...

Tell me what u see...

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
So guys, I DIDN'T take my car YET to the shop, however, I did go to one of my good friends that's a mechanic, he recommend that, I should change my valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seals and spark plugs, of course, I have to drain out the oil the is spilled everywhere, I will do that when I get a chance this weekend and let you guys know what the results are....

2 mechanics told me the samething, but still, I wonder if it could be something else? I just hope what I bought will fix it. =)

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
valve cover gasket w.e same thing lol.
You better not be saying the HG and the VCG are the same thing...

Pull codes if you can, drain your oil, check your coolant, check your plugs, and do a compression test. And report back.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^ what she said then you will have a better idea of what's wrong.

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
You better not be saying the HG and the VCG are the same thing...

Pull codes if you can, drain your oil, check your coolant, check your plugs, and do a compression test. And report back.
That is my plan, I'm going to check codes, my coolant is fine, plugs are bad since theres oil all over them and compression test is what I'll do after I install the valve cover gasket etc....

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your cel flashes when your engine detonates......your car shut down because it was about to die, if it didnt already. when a cel flashes, you are supposed to immediately pull over and shut the car off.

do you go to back yard mechanics? because changing those parts wont do anything for your issue

first thing you need is a compression test, if its low. squirt some of your basic oil in the little squirt cans in and do a leak down test.

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
your cel flashes when your engine detonates......your car shut down because it was about to die, if it didnt already. when a cel flashes, you are supposed to immediately pull over and shut the car off.

do you go to back yard mechanics? because changing those parts wont do anything for your issue

first thing you need is a compression test, if its low. squirt some of your basic oil in the little squirt cans in and do a leak down test.
We'll I went to two mechanics, they both have been in business for more then 20 years and they both told me the same thing. I'm not saying that there right, but I gotta do something as this is my only car.

I'm on a serious budget as I only go to school full-time and money is hard to get for myself.

How much do you think a compression test cost and a leak down test???? Thanks in advance.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We'll I went to two mechanics, they both have been in business for more then 20 years and they both told me the same thing. I'm not saying that there right, but I gotta do something as this is my only car.

I'm on a serious budget as I only go to school full-time and money is hard to get for myself.

How much do you think a compression test cost and a leak down test???? Thanks in advance.
You can rent a compression tester from oreillys basically for free. And you can learn how to do a leakdown test. Its a b***h though.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and they said change vc gaskets and spark plugs? unless the plugs are really shot and cause a sever misfiring

but if you wanted, you could buy a leak down tester which is a compression tester but better, and can get one a harbor freight fairly cheap

leak down test are super easy. you screw it into spark plug hole, hook it up to a air line, let air through. leakage should be under 10 percent or something. i dont remembe exactly.

Last edited:

em1civicsi

5+ Year Member
You can rent a compression tester from oreillys basically for free. And you can learn how to do a leakdown test. Its a b**** though.
I'll hit up Oreillys lol

and they said change vc gaskets and spark plugs? unless the plugs are really shot and cause a sever misfiring

but if you wanted, you could buy a leak down tester which is a compression tester but better, and can get one a harbor freight fairly cheap

leak down test are super easy. you screw it into spark plug hole, hook it up to a air line, let air through. leakage should be under 10 percent or something. i dont remembe exactly.
Okay, I can do that, I guess I'll rent one and try this.
I'm going to have to research because I don't know what the hell kind of numbers ill get and what to do with these numbers lol.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh yeah and you need to get the cylinder at top dead center, which isnt hard to do.

but should be aiming for 5% but no more than 10% leakage