bad oil leak after head gasket

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
first of the car is a 99 honda civic ex sedan d16y8, the car is boosted and i started overheating last week (after about 3 weeks of being boosted). i found out i was getting exhaust into my coolant, so i pulled the head the other day and replaced the gasket with a brand new oem y8 gasket and installed arp head studs. the fired right up and i took it for a test drive and there seemed to be no problems until i got home.

i looked under the car and found a pretty moderate oil leak, i pulled the oil filter off and looked but couldnt see anything. so i wiped everything down and started the car after i put the filter back on and climbed under the car, the leak looks to be coming out of the coolant block drain but its straight oil and no coolant so how could that be?

what do you guys think it could be? the drain plug is tight but i cant see any runs from the bottom of the head area. how likely is it that its the head gasket again, i used my craftsman torque wrench and torqued to 60 ft lbs in 4 steps 25/35/48/60 and have only heat cycled the motor twice. oh and i did measure for warpage and i couldnt even fit a .003 feeler under and the manual says between .002-.008

this is a picture of my oil leak

here are two videos i took with my smart phone WARNING turn down your volume it gets loud under my car

i noticed the golden stream right above the oil filter but in the second video its all dry like nothing was there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD9hvJiFHng

this video is after i shut off the car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3C7IcklEls

Shanec

Is there any oil residue in your radiator or on radiator cap? If so I would say head gasket still bad. When u last changed gasket, did u have head brought to machine shop?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oil and coolant are not mixed, I didnt take the head in but I did measure a few spots with a feeler

Shanec

Very strange, I saw streaming down in first video. Any new news on it?

My guess would be one of A few possible seals. Why did u have to replace head gasket? Was it run hot? If so, prob seal got way hot and melted. Maybe cam or crank seal? All I can think of. When u replace gasket, seals should be replaced too if car was run hot. Keep me posted, I'm curious now!

Last edited by a moderator:

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The gasket randomly let loose and let compression enter the cooling system, after that it would get to to 3/4 on the heat gauge at idle. I replaced my valve cover gasket and inner/outer distributor seal about 3 months ago