Battery Light Is Coming On Intermittently

theantiquefanatic

Sometimes when I first start my car the battery light is coming on and after I take off it eventually goes off. Alternator is reading 14.4 volts. Battery is only about 1 year old. Connections are all clean and tight. Advice?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
What's the voltage holding at when the vehicle is off? Periodically check the charge state throughout the day after you come home to see if there is any parasitic draw or simply a defective battery.

theantiquefanatic

What's the voltage holding at when the vehicle is off? Periodically check the charge state throughout the day after you come home to see if there is any parasitic draw or simply a defective battery.
Battery has shown good every time it has been tested. I will test again tonight. Thanks nd4.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
also, test at the battery at first start up. have someone else start it so you can watch.
does it immediately jump to 14v? or does it stay around 12 and eventually increase?

if it's the latter, i'd inspect the belts
I had a vehicle that would charge intermittantly. turned out the belts were just barely loose enough, that they would slip (old alternator was pretty stiff), until some point they would start grabbing the pulley. Likely expansion of the belt once heated up.