Battery would not hold charge

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a odyssey battery (prc-680) that got drained. i took it to 3 different places to get it charged but it would not hold the charge. since its a dry cell they hooked it up to slow charge but still no luck. the weird thing is, i bought the battery in mid january so its 8 months old.

iluvpho

5+ Year Member
If it doesnt hold then its no good. Battery should have warranty...if not prorated when you trade in. Most batteries last 4+ years.

I just got a new battery 2 weeks ago. Autozone tested it for free

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Like anything else there can be bad batteries from the factory. Not everything is perfect. That is what they have warranties for. That is also why they have lemon laws for vehicles. Sometimes you just get a bad egg, it's a fact of life.

The GMC dealer I used to work at had a tester that could tell if cells are bad or why a battery won't hold a charge. Try a battery shop and see if they will test it out for you.

Best case would be to just take it back to where you got it and have them replace it. Hopefully you have that option.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well at first when i got the battery it worked great, but somewhere in the car theres a circuit that remains open and drains my battery. so i need to check where is it draining from. hopefully password lets me exchange it.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I don't know about Password, but I would figure that if it is really shot, not holding a charge, and is only 8 months old; it is still under warranty. Even basic batteries have a longer warranty than that.

My LX has a drain that kills a battery if it is left unattended for longer than a week. Still holds a charge when I keep up on it and the battery is over a year old. It has been discharged at LEAST 5 times now and is still fine.

I am guessing that you just got a bad battery.

xWIREMANx

I wouldn't see why it's not covered under warranty. If you want to find out where your draw is coming from then just do a current draw test with a volt meter. While it is hooked up just pull one fuse at a time until you see where the big draw is coming from. A normal draw on a car in the off position should reall be no more than like 30ma. Anything above that would be considered a parasitic draw that will kill the battery. if the battery is deep cycled (drained to the point of dead) too many times it will kill it regardless of how new it is.

serg650

The same thing happened to My 00' Civic Si, But then i got it checked it was the Alternator that wasn't charging. Maybe the Alternator