Belts Squeeking

megawombat

5+ Year Member
I just picked up an '01 LX and I love everything about it, except that it sounds like one of the belts is screeching sometimes when I accelerate or even rev the engine in neutral. I checked them and they look very new. Do they just need adjusted?

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
probably

Tom619

5+ Year Member
try spraying "belt dressing". it's like WD40, but specifically for belts. $2.99 at local auto parts store.
if the belts look new, maybe they're just dry.

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey raz clear up some pm room, can't e-mail you your mailbox is full.
Sorry to go in on this thread guys

OVNi_CIVIC

Revise
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
try spraying "belt dressing". it's like WD40, but specifically for belts. $2.99 at local auto parts store.
if the belts look new, maybe they're just dry.
dont spray anything on your belts.
they either need repacement, or an adjustment. Perform the latter first, since its the easiest.
:thumbs up

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont spray anything on your belts.
they either need repacement, or an adjustment. Perform the latter first, since its the easiest.
:thumbs up
Belt dressing is actually a good idea. He might very well need an adjustment but belt dressing will help prolong the life of your belts regardless.

Liquidice944

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have the SAME exact problem. Belt dressing does nothing. If anything, it actually makes it squeak alittle MORE. I took it to a honda dealership awhile back to take a look. THey said my belts and pulleys were fine and didnt know what it is. But its kind of annoying. If you have any luck and find out, please let me know.

Tom619

5+ Year Member
I have the SAME exact problem. Belt dressing does nothing. If anything, it actually makes it squeak alittle MORE. I took it to a honda dealership awhile back to take a look. THey said my belts and pulleys were fine and didnt know what it is. But its kind of annoying. If you have any luck and find out, please let me know.
i guess it depends on the problem for belt dressing to work.

my belts were squeaking really loudly when i got the car last month, but the old owner said "but it's a new belt...".
so i sprayed on some belt dressing and it's gone completely. silent. the belt was really dry.
that's what the mechanic recommended i'd do when i took it in for inspection.
...just what the doctor ordered.. :D

if belt dressing doesn't work, then obviously it's something else. but i would definitely start out with a cheap remedy

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ahhh

that infamous alternator bearing squeak.

megawombat

5+ Year Member
Yes Raz it seems to only be when the air is turned on that they squeek. I tried belt dressing and it didn't work so I waited a couple days and re-tried it, still no luck. I also checked the tension on both belts and both seem to be plenty tight.

JDP-OMC

Try adjusting first..if it keeps squealing u can try spraying WD-40 on da belt while its running...u should be good..if those don't work jus buy a new 1