best cat back exhaust for my em2 for performance

jah92

hi guys im a new member and new owner of a 02 civic ex, right off the bat i want to get better response from my car in means of performance. What be best cat back for my new car and should i got 3in or 2 1/2in?
all answers ae much appreciated. :lol:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You have a d-series. Only way to get performance that is worth the money is to swap to a bigger motor or boost it. Sad but true.

Your car was built for GAS MILEAGE not power. A cat back isn't going to do much of anything except change the sound.

Searching would have shown that this has been brought up and answered at least once a week.

jah92

alright well thanks for the insight im still new to the tuner world so ill do more research, as far as swap with a low budget of 3k should i go with b18c or h22 swap for my em2?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's been brought up as well. Swaps are asked about daily probably. In fact, we have a sticky in the engine/drivetrain section about swaps. Might even have prices, I don't remember. I would link it, but I am on my phone so you are on your own on that for now.

jah92

when you have time send me the link i searched a bit ago n most people are noobs much like myself thanks

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In the section titled "Engine Tech/Drivetrain". I think it is even the top one. Says something like looking to swap read me first. This app only allows me to see posts that are new or ones that I have participated in recently so I can't see it for sure unless someone posts in it tonight.

jah92

well this is my only options either k swap or boost so theres no other motors i can choose from. my only question would be if i can use the k20a3 motor from 02-05 si drop it just fine in the em2. im only confused since the shifter in the si is placed differently than most stick shift cars. i found a k20a3long block with 65k for $500 obo

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well this is my only options either k swap or boost so theres no other motors i can choose from. my only question would be if i can use the k20a3 motor from 02-05 si drop it just fine in the em2. im only confused since the shifter in the si is placed differently than most stick shift cars. i found a k20a3long block with 65k for $500 obo
yes you can swap in a K20a3, you just have to gather the necessary parts for the specific motor you're wanting to drop in . All K series motors can be installed into the EM2 chassis.

DTvn

You might actually save money/time/resale value if you sell your car and just buy a EP3 instead of doing the swap

I've come across a few cheap EP3s recently around the same price as EM2s

jah92

only reason why don't want a ep3 is bc i need more space for me and my son so i choose em2 for the convenience of size, as far as parts needed for the swap would it only be the engine, transmission , ecu n clutch line?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
doing a k20 swap would cost more then your cars worth.
Not with an a3 motor and trans and just getting the car running.
only reason why don't want a ep3 is bc i need more space for me and my son so i choose em2 for the convenience of size, as far as parts needed for the swap would it only be the engine, transmission , ecu n clutch line?
No, there is still more involved like the rsx subframe. Google the swap and youll find full lists pf what's needed.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as for the cat back i think your better off buying a universal muffler and having it welded on or clamped on. considering exhaust don't do a dam thing to these cars except make noise. with that being said don't just slap on a shiny ebay one spend a little more money you'll be happier with the sound and reliability i recommend Vibrant Street Performance there fairly cheap around $100 bucks depending were you order it.