Best chip for p28!

90dohcD

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I will be running a jdm 96-97b18c itr swap and have never delt with chipping an ecu or which one you guys would reccomend. will only be running it with bolt ons only.

92lseg

Run the stock p72

No need for a chip/tune, unless your doing cams/injectors etc

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I don't think either of you guys really have a sense of what it means to run a chipped ECU. Forgive me if i'm wrong here.

Just because it's "chipped" doesn't mean its a total one off custom set up. I've done many chipped ECU's with stock base maps meaning a P06 or P28's for example loaded with a Pxxx base map (chipped). The reason I and may other do this is because the P06 for example is dirt cheap. Then you load up the chip with the map/extras you want and slip it in the socket (typically) of the ECU you're building which is cheaper than the stock ECU would have been (like a P72 for example). Yes, you can also run a custom tuned chip specific to your application, but simply asking/saying "which chip is best" or "no need to chip" isn't exactly spot on.

IMO, a cheap Pxxx ECU "chipped" with a base map to get you started is better than paying for the OEM ECU because you're already one step ahead of the game if you ever need a custom tune and have paid less money up front... That's what I would do anyway....

92lseg

I don't think either of you guys really have a sense of what it means to run a chipped ECU. Forgive me if i'm wrong here.

Just because it's "chipped" doesn't mean its a total one off custom set up. I've done many chipped ECU's with stock base maps meaning a P06 or P28's for example loaded with a Pxxx base map (chipped). The reason I and may other do this is because the P06 for example is dirt cheap. Then you load up the chip with the map/extras you want and slip it in the socket (typically) of the ECU you're building which is cheaper than the stock ECU would have been (like a P72 for example). Yes, you can also run a custom tuned chip specific to your application, but simply asking/saying "which chip is best" or "no need to chip" isn't exactly spot on.

IMO, a cheap Pxxx ECU "chipped" with a base map to get you started is better than paying for the OEM ECU because you're already one step ahead of the game if you ever need a custom tune and have paid less money up front... That's what I would do anyway....
I know exactly what a chipped ecu is and is capable of lol

I agree with using a cheaper ecu and loaded xyz map if you don't have the correct oem ecu..

But I took it as the op was looking for the "performance chip" many around here are looking for lol

I'm running a p06 on my ls swap with a p75 map and two step lol

So ill +1 to what alaskas saying if you don't already have a p72, an there is no "performance chip" that magically adds power

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Agreed. I hadn't even considered he may be asking about a "magic chip" LOL.. Good point

90dohcD

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Considering both of you missed what i was asking, ill repeat. i said what i was gonna be running and i said what ecu in the subject so therefore i figured you gurus that like to be a smartass right off the bat would have grasped im GONNA BE RUNNING A jdm b18c on a p28 which means i have to run a chipped ecu to run the obd2 setup. i merely was looking for opinions on what other people are running and would reccomend not looking for your snide remarks about not knowing what im asking or about a magic chip. so unless you have something to offer to what i just made clear feel free not to reply.thank you for you informative posts....

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Maybe you should "grasp" what we were both trying to tell you. Run a straight p72 or a p72 chipped P28 (or P whatever). Get it? Good grief man... You need to relax a bit. Nobody else is responding to you because 92LSEG gave it to you right off the bat.

90dohcD

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok since again you didnt understand my question, i have and will be running a P28. now my original question still stands i asked about the chip itself not what ecu to use. i am looking for quality, and craftsmanship so i asked opinions on what CHIP would be best. now i cant make it any clearer, and it does no good to tell someone to relax whne your first post was beig a smartass. once again if you have nothing to offer to my original question of WHAT CHIP would be best then theres no need to reply. Not being a hardass but i refuse to deal with ish like that when all im doin is asking a simple question for the people who can answer it or give me advice. Thanx again

92lseg

Xenonocron or phearable.net sell chips that are widely used..

He nor I was being a smart ass, we were trying to help you out

90dohcD

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thank you for those two options i have been all over the phearable.net and it was one i was looking at. and as far as the being smartass' its kinda hard to deny it with the maybe hes looking for the "magic chip" or the one "performance chip" comments followed by the "lol". thats not helping thats attempts at poking fun when in reality i knew exactly what i was asking and what type of answers i should get. like i said not bn a hardass but i wont take any ish from online people trying to be funny at my expense when im askin for advice. I do appreciate the two options you gave me though now.that we have cleared up what i was asking. thanks 92lseg.

90dohcD

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That seems to be the most common tune for sure, living in central Wisconsin i have the benefit of having kingmotorsports tune my setup so im looking at gettin a phearable chip and havin it tuned on crome pro by them. thanx for the input.

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
Don't waste your time or money at king for a simple set up like that.. Just order a Phearable ecu tuned for your set up. I've done it, and would do it again. Spending money for a Phearable chipped ecu, then taking it King is a giant waste of money and they will probably laugh at you. I feel like the Honda scene in WI is getting worse and worse lol sorry OP. :what:

90dohcD

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No worries opinions are opinions but my buddy Kevin has a similar setup and his is on crome pro and his brother works there and he was dyno tuned at 191whp just from the tune. and benefits of a hook up there so ill consider your reccomendation thanks.