"blending" layers

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What I'm trying to do is, say...
Layer1 is worked
Layer2, I just want a certain section of it (say, an elliptical), so I lasso it, and crop it, but it gives me the lasso, but a rectangular area around it, as well, in black..

What I want to do is transparent the black unwanted area, the fade or "blend" the edges of the elliptical, so that they fade to transparent, and move it onto layer1..

Or am I making it harder than it really is..

This is a guess as to how you guys are making cool blended sigs and pictures..

TIA

42Steps

Welcome my son....
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take a couple screenshots of what you have right now, preferably one with both layers visible, then one of each layer by itself....

Its kinda hard to understand what you mean when you talk about the second layer.... :what:

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
42Steps said:
Take a couple screenshots of what you have right now, preferably one with both layers visible, then one of each layer by itself....

Its kinda hard to understand what you mean when you talk about the second layer.... :what:
:werd:

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i;m completely lost in what you;re trying to say.

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
CLICK HERE pardon the B&W sreen capture.. Had the wrong setting..

Also, its a link, as I run 1600x1200 resolution, and the shot is huge..

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
qwikxr said:
CLICK HERE pardon the B&W sreen capture.. Had the wrong setting..

Also, its a link, as I run 1600x1200 resolution, and the shot is huge..
firstly that isn;t two layers thats two seperate windows to you;ll need to take the arrow tool and drag that selection over to the other picture.then to blend it you can lower the opactiy setting of it and/or use the eraser set on 0% hardness and soften up the edges of it.
radarblips said:
Try this man. If you're doing this for a sig you definitely want to start with something a lot smaller, unless you want to do some crazy resizing :lol:
big pix are better, you just zoom out and resize them. its easy.

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks, radar and cookie..
Yah, i figured out yesterday, to drag it over to make layers, but it dragged over the entire rectangle, not just what was in the elliptical...

I'll give the eraser a go, this evening..
Thanks again, friends!

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, I followed the tutorial radarblips linked me to... Im struggling with the eraser tool and setting it to 99 with fully feathered setting.. Only thing I can find is to determine what type of eraser I want...
Where am I missing the settings portion? At the top, it says BRUSH size, but nothing for eraser..

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the eraser has a brush size/shape. if you just press E it should switch to the eraser. you;re not missing anything.

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this sig is the outcome of my first real attempt and doing anything graphic....
That's what I've been working on in this thread..

qwikxr

former PCM#3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, I couldnt find an eraser brush shape that would do the edges correctly.. And "feather", well, I couldnt even find that option..! hehehe...

Jezek mentioned the font is weak.. well, I know, but my font selection is minimal, at best!.. Need to go searching for good fonts.. ;) Maybe I'll stumble across some PS skills, while I'm looking! hehe

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when in photoshop press F1 it will take you to a help file. there you can search for things you are trying to do, such as feather. feather isn;t a tool its softening the edges of a pic. when you have the hardness turned down thats considered a feathered brush.

for fonts go to
www.dafont.com/