Bone stock 98 EX Coupe. Need suggestions!

Jaydubs914

Yo!
So I just bought a bone stock 98 EX Coupe. I'm the 2nd owner, previous owner bought it off a honda lot with 273 miles haha. Has d16y8.
I'm newer to building a project car. What steps should I take first?
Im looking for tips on brands and whatnot with:
- Lowering springs
- Control arms
- Sway bars
- Air filter
- ECU swaps etc etc.

I'd like to improve my VTEC capabilities and just base HP capabilities. Looking just for all around tips and pointers to get this going. It will be my Daily Driver and my Project so.:lol::lol:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First off congrats.

Second research, research, research, research. This question is asked ALL THE TIME. There are tons and tons of threads on here about what suspension, what mods, hp upgrades although mostly a waste of money unless you go boost or swap to a bigger motor. Most of the stuff you asked is even stickied at the top of the respective forum categories.

Once you spend a ton of time reading through the vast knowledge that is ALREADY here and your eyes are hurting, then come back and ask if you haven't found your answers.

Armando C.

Couldn't emphasize the research enough, but to lead you in what I believe is a solid direction and great approach to modding a civic,
First fix any major cosmetics that are a must. Wheels an tires, torn up seat, etc etc
Second, Work on suspension, whether it be springs, full coilovers, or coilover sleeves, research and make you OWN educated decision (DO NOT let what one persons biased opinion says influence what you do. just because something was bad for one person may not always mean its bad for everyone, but stay away from things that everyone is against, play it smart)
Third, begin to look into whatever it is you would like to do with you engine (changing the ECU on a stock d series won't get you much, don't waste your time on the D unless you wanna boost)
Fourth, make it look pretty =), seatsm cluster, shift knob, lips, whatever pleases your eye

The most important thing when researching though, again, i cannot emphasize enough, do not let one persons opinion change your mind, read up on all the info, read the FULL thread, and based off of the valuable information make your decision on what fits your own wants and need based off how you drive and perform in the car.
Whether someone who uses Ground Control Coilovers is bashing on KSports coilovers, or someone with an H22 engine is bashing on the B16, Don't let their situation make your deicion.

Good luck with the car, any questions feel free to ask

Jaydubs914

What should i replace along with lowering springs?!

So the first thing I want to change is the suspension on my 98 EX.
I was wondering what i should replace and what decently cheap lowering springs are out there?
I'm a college kid so I dont have tons of money, and I'm not looking to set up a racing setup. I just want a nice looking drop that doesnt ride like cut springs.

Should I just get springs? Should I replace struts? What should I replace? What all is considered in the "suspension" for a good drop?
Like I said, I know 0% here haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Again. Search. People have been lowering and upgrading suspension on these for 15 years and have been posting threads on it for just as long. Have a look through the suspension forum. There is a sticky at the top that goes through every spring/strut/coilover set up and their various pros and cons.

rustycivic2000

Registered VIP
Again. Search. People have been lowering and upgrading suspension on these for 15 years and have been posting threads on it for just as long. Have a look through the suspension forum. There is a sticky at the top that goes through every spring/strut/coilover set up and their various pros and cons.
This.

And let me just add from personal experience.......you might as well save your money and do coilovers the first time. After riding on lowering springs/shocks for 2 years, and finally upgrading to coilovers (on my Accord, not Civic), I now see it would have been easier (and cheaper) to have saved and got coilovers the first time. Just my $.02.

sixwhip14

5+ Year Member
This.

And let me just add from personal experience.......you might as well save your money and do coilovers the first time. After riding on lowering springs/shocks for 2 years, and finally upgrading to coilovers (on my Accord, not Civic), I now see it would have been easier (and cheaper) to have saved and got coilovers the first time. Just my $.02.
This I agree with as well. I have a 97 Accord that is on it's 3rd suspension setup. Finally got some Function & Form Type 1s. I love them. My 2000 Civic Si is on Tein S Techs and stock shocks for now. It rides nice for a daily. I would also suggest taking a look at your trailing arm bushings. Mine were shot to sh** on my Si.
Someone else mentioned getting an alarm. Good idea. Try doing a kill switch to your fuel pump if an alarm is out of your means for now. It is cheap and easy to do. Have fun with your Civic, and welcome.

Oh snap, just occured to me that no one mentioned the dreaded seized lower shock bolt issue you may have if you try to do your suspension. There is a bolt on the rear shocks that get rusted and won't come out. Happened to me and many other people. If you live where there is snow and salt on the roads in the winter, you could have a problem with this. Just saying it is a real p.i.t.a.

Last edited by a moderator:

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
One bolt per side? I worry about all bolts when removing them for the first time. I snapped both rear LCA bolts that go into the rear trailing arm. The other 4 came out just fine.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Research the operative word. All the basics have been covered.

One note though. According to what youve mentioned, I suggest the simple route & go with struts & springs. Look up the thread on shocks/struts & springs and go from there. If budget is your main concern, find equipment brands you want and research the hell out of them on Google. There are alot of small company websites that offer some great deals. Keep in mind that if your stock set-up isnt totally worn out, take advantage and ride them out to buy you time and put your money towards making your engine reliable. K&N air filter, NGK plugs, new fuel filter, clean out the EGR chamber, and so on.