Boost Q's

Kalindian

New Civic Here!
I have a few questions regarding boosting a D16Y8 at around 9-10 psi. I'm looking to not change the guts of the engine seeing as the motor is all original @around 99,XXX miles on a 98 civic EX coupe. I'll post up a pic. Point is, 124 hp is NOT cutting it. I was looking for around 175ish, nothing brutal or insane. This is a DD after all. Is this s good idea? One thing to note, I WILL NOT be swapping. This this runs like a f***ing swiss clock. Also, money is tiiiiiight so its going to be next summer before I buy the turbo. I'm looking to spend $800-1000...maybe $1200 on the kit and whatever the dyno tune will cost to go with it. Any good kits you guys can point me to? Or good threads if this is the 10 trillionth thread asking the same damn question. lol :roll:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd say you have a decent goal, and remember to not base your performance with a set PSI amount since 10PSI with T3super60 turbo is nothing like 10PSI with a GT35R turbo.
I would plan to set aside a bit more in your budget though. Even piecing together a kit could cost more than what you expect.

my recommendation on a kit is something from go-autoworks. They have quality parts and specialize in sohc boost apps. Although they lack a tuning solution in their kit (most dont have one anyway) I think its the best value for your money without making your own kit from scratch.

Kalindian

New Civic Here!
Okay thanks, The main focus on the PSI is that I don't want to blow my valves or piston rods and have to break down the entire block. That would ...blow! God, I couldn't help myself. lol

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Could piece together a kit. Get a cast iron manifold, ebay intercooler piping and intercooler, rebuilt t3t4 turbo or saav turbo or something beside an ebay turbo. Then i suggest trying to find a used hondata s300 may get lucky, dsm injectors, then your various other pieces. Try to stay away from ebay best you can.

Kalindian

New Civic Here!
Thanks Tokyo, thats pretty much what I was looking for. Also, other than the fact that it's EBAY, Why should I stay away from the kits? There was one for like $750 ish that seemed legit enough...

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks Tokyo, thats pretty much what I was looking for. Also, other than the fact that it's EBAY, Why should I stay away from the kits? There was one for like $750 ish that seemed legit enough...
Those kits need most of the parts replaced or rebuilt, and the kits aren't that complete like they seem.